*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2087832-The-Walk-294-Words
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest · #2087832
A walk on the beach yields some surprises. Daily Flash Fiction entry 6/19/16.
         Melanie walked lazily down the beach and noticed something shiny sticking up in the sand. As she came closer, she noticed it was a brownish orange stone that looked as if it was polished. Picking it up out of the mud, she bent down to rinse off excess residue. She placed it in her coat pocket and walked on.

         Some time later, she found herself at the pier and the antique store she seemed to never have time to gointo and forage. Being a Sunday afternoon, she thought they were closed. Trying the door, she found it open. Entering, Melanie was met with sights, smells, and sounds that transported her mind to a simpler time.

         "Hi. Can I help you?", a cheerful Amy, the owner, said.

         "I've wanted to come here for the longest time." Melanie replied

         "Feel free to look around. If you see anything of interest, let me know."

         Melanie meandered the aisles and two items immediately caught her eye. The first was an old lamp that looked like it belonged in a fantasy novel. She was afraid if she rubbed it, a genie would appear. The second item was a sign that read "Midnight Morsels". She wondered where that had been. Inquiring about the items and their cost, Melanie found herself back on the pier with a bag in her hand, a stone in her pocket, and her feet taking her back home.

         Once home, Melanie unpacked her treasures and began to find places for them. The lamp and stone were easy. The sign, not so much. The stone and lamp were placed in her china cabinet. She placed the sign above the island in her kitchen. It would be a conversation starter at the luncheon she was having tomorrow.

294 Words
© Copyright 2016 Stardust - Creating (avidthinker at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2087832-The-Walk-294-Words