*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2088258-Breaching-the-Containment-Door
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2088258
All dialog, prompt info below, word count 500
"My answer is no. Of course, you know that. That's why you haven't said anything, right, Bob?"

"What?"

"I have known you since you were ten. I know when you have got some cockamamie idea in that blond head of yours."

"I'm just thinking is all, Susan."

"Thinking leads to action and we don't need that crap right now. I'm just starting to accept this confinement and you're thinking of going outside."

"I'm just curious is all."

"Bob, we spent just shy of a million dollars provisioning and building this place so we didn't have to go up there. Air, water, sewer, food, power. There is no reason to leave for at least, what, twenty-three more months?"

"None of my three cameras are working. They're my eyes to the outside world and without them I'm blind. I can't stand it. I have to know what's going on up there."

"No, you don't 'have' to know what's going on. We know. The world's in chaos with nuclear fallout. That's what's going on out there.

"If you open the outer containment door, I will lock you out from the inner door, Bob. Rest assured."

"You wouldn't."

"If we have a catastrophic system failure or we run out of food, then I have to accept the fact that we have to leave. But for now, I'm content staying here in our safe world.

"I'm serious. You choose to open that door and contaminate our home, then you're choosing to leave."

"I can't believe you're saying this, Susan."

"I can't believe you're entertaining the idea of going out there, so we're even, Bob."

"I knew not to bring this up."

"You know what? Never mind. Just go and I'll lock up behind you, because now I'll always wonder if you'll go out one night while I'm asleep. How can I trust you?

"Oh great. After three weeks of silence, your friends have coming knocking again. Now would be a perfect time to go see what they want."

"Whatever."

"So now you're not interested in what's going on out there?"

"No, it's not that. One of them must have bumped the camera connection. I can see from here. Turn around and you can see the monitors."

"Unlike you, I'm afraid to see what's going on up there."

"I'm going to go take a closer look...at the monitors."

"Whatever it is, keep it to yourself. Unless there's a threat to our shelter, I don't want to know.

"I hope those images are enough to satisfy your curiosity. If not, then it's time for you to leave.

"Did you hear me, Bob?"

"Yes, yes. And I've seen enough. I'm turning off the monitors. I'm sorry. I just had to what was going on out there."

"Are you still needing or wanting to go out there?"

"No."

"I don't want to lose you to the world out there, but I need to trust you. Can I trust you?"

"Yes, there's no need to go out there now, love."


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All dialog prompt end of June 2016: You and your spouse have survived a nuclear holocaust in your bomb shelter and you discuss leaving its safety to investigate outside.

Write a Story with a plot under 500 words.
© Copyright 2016 NeedingBeachDuf 🐠⛵🏝️ (meduf at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2088258-Breaching-the-Containment-Door