*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2088543-The-Present
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #2088543
She gets an extra, special present.

Amanda was a precocious ten-year-old with long blonde hair and a button nose.  She loved Pillow Pets and going to Chuck E. Cheese. And today was her birthday.

Her mother had planned a birthday party with balloons and streamers and a birthday cake with orange icing that said, “Happy Birthday Amanda.” This luscious looking cake was chocolate inside with white frosting, and there were ten candles with little ballerinas, for Amanda was just starting ballet classes.

It was Saturday morning, and the family had just finished breakfast.  Amanda was excited about her upcoming party, and she was indeed receiving much attention from her mom and dad.  Her dad referred to her as, “Angel”, and he would grin from ear to ear when Amanda would giggle.  But Eddie, Amanda’s brother, wasn’t too happy this morning.  He sat in his chair holding his juice glass up to his mouth with two hands as he kicked the rung of the chair in an annoying rhythm, like a metronome.

Amanda helped her mom clear off the table, then scampered up the elegant shag-covered stairway to her room.  Eddie finished his orange juice and followed shortly after.  Mom continued the kitchen chores, dad took out the garbage and then went into the living room to read the paper.  All in all, it was a happy Saturday morning, with an upbeat anticipation for the upcoming party later that afternoon.

But then in a flurry, Amanda came down the stairs, and right in front of her dad stood a weeping birthday child.  Dad comforted his angel and asked what was wrong.  Mom came out from the kitchen, concerned.  Seems that jealousy added into the rancorous mix of natural sibling rivalry, and that Eddie was mean to his sister.  What he did to Amanda was not clear, but both parents were satisfied that he did do something to make Amanda cry, and both mom and dad had a serious discussion with Eddie, with added persuasion.

Mom was actually more upset than dad, and after mom left Eddie’s room, dad stayed on and talked with Eddie for quite a while.  Eddie’s dad was a chemist who worked for a pharmaceutical company, coached a little league team, was a deacon in his church, and had a quiet way about him.  He seemed wise beyond his years.

By two o’clock everyone had arrived, and Amanda’s party was in motion.  There were friends and relatives, but Amanda’s mom had arranged things so that Amanda would have ten gifts--one for each of her ten years.  And Amanda was one happy ten-year-old, blue eyes bright and full of giggles.

It was not long before Amanda’s dad shot a glance over to his son, and in a flash Eddie darted up the stairs and was back in seconds.  He was holding a box wrapped in gold paper with a bright red bow.  He placed it on the table, right along with Amanda’s other presents.  Now, Amanda had 11 gifts to open.  Her big eyes beamed as Eddie put down the box.  Without hesitation, she dashed over to unwrap it.  Her giggles filled the room, there was a collective “Aw,” from everyone there, and that tender and sincere sound continued as Amanda gave her brother a big hug.


542 Words
Writer’s Cramp
6-27-16


© Copyright 2016 Don Two (dannigan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2088543-The-Present