*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2088593-Spilt-Wine
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2088593
Writer's Cramp Prompt 6/28, prompt below, Word count: 410
It all went downhill when the butterfly landed in the bowl of mayonnaise.

Trish had coming running into the house with her twin, Amanda, hot on her heels.

"She broke my butterfly wand," shrieked Trish in a voice only a seven-year-old girl can master.

"I did not! It was already broken," said Amanda. "Give me my wand."

The girls were fighting over the wand at the corner of the island in the kitchen. Before I could get a word out of my mouth, the butterfly snapped off the wand and landed in the bowl of mayonnaise.

They both stopped and looked at the mayonnaise for a second and then to me to gauge what to do next. Apparently, my face said "Carry on," because that is exactly what they did.

"You broken BOTH wands!"

"I did not. You did!"

Trish pushed Amanda against the island where she pushed the box of mushrooms into the onion. The onion started rolling, so I turned to catch it as it rolled off the counter. While I was turned away, Amanda's elbow hit the open bottle of red wine. It fell over, hit the edge of the cast iron pan and shattered, sending glass and red wine over the entire island.

As quickly as the bottle had broken, the girls took their wrestling match smartly out of my sight.

There were green shards of glass and purple dots in the potato salad. A good portion of the top of the wine bottle was resting in my red wine mushroom sauce covering my meticulously sauteed chicken. Although I could not readily see it, I was sure there was glass in the broccoli.

I walked over to the wine cooler and grabbed another one of my favorite 2012 Eyrie Vineyards Pinot Noir. Stepping over the glass, I pulled a wine glass from the cupboard. As I passed the stove, I turned off the fire that still burned below my ruined dinner.

I grabbed the corkscrew out of the drawer and sat down at the kitchen table. I pulled the cork and without letting the wine breathe, I poured myself a glass. I fished my cell phone from my pocket and searched my contacts as I sipped the cool wine.

"Delivery, please. That is correct. A medium Hawaiian and a large supreme. No, that will be all. Okay, thank you," I said into the telephone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Writer's Cramp Prompt 6/28
Begin your STORY or POEM with the following sentence - bold the sentence, and do not edit in any way (if you use it in a poem, you can break it into 2 lines):

It all went downhill when the butterfly landed in the bowl of mayonnaise.

Word count: 410


© Copyright 2016 NeedingBeachDuf 🐠⛵🏝️ (meduf at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2088593-Spilt-Wine