*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2088781-The-Souvenirs
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Contest · #2088781
Daily Flash Fiction Challenge entry for 6/29/16. 271 words
         Paul and Theresa were divorced since their daughter, April, was six months old. Now a freshman in high school, April had dreams of acting on Broadway. The Drama department was putting on The Sound of Music. April landed the part of Louisa, one of the children. She sent her father a ticket to opening night. Paul could hardly wait.

         The morning of the play Pal woke up feeling lousy. He had the flu and didn't want to make others sick. He called April with the bad news. Disappointed, she resigned to the realization. Theresa got on the phone and wished her ex well. After hanging up, Paul had a brilliant idea - a scrapbook for April. One chronicling her road to acting. Her began gathering things he had over the years. Putting these things in a box to arrange later when he got a book, he sadly closed the lid.

         The play was a complete success. After the last curtain call, the actors gathered for a group photo. A copy would be given to each member. April asked if she could have two copies since her father was unable to attend. She offered to pay for it. The drama teacher allowed it. She received the photos a week later.

         Two weeks after opening night, a large envelope arrived in Paul's mail. Opening it, he was greeted with a letter from April, a copy of the play's program, and the picture of the cast. Reading the letter brought a tear to Paul's eyes. By this time he had the scrapbook and added the items to it. He smiled at his daughter's accomplishments.
© Copyright 2016 Stardust - Creating (avidthinker at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2088781-The-Souvenirs