*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2089672-Dallas
Rated: 13+ · Essay · Emotional · #2089672
Clinging to what matters.
I don't know if I'm in pain or numb. Twelve casualties in Dallas, and five of them are dead. All are---or were---law enforcement. One attacker stated that he wanted to kill white people. Why?

Why is it okay to kill people based on race, or occupation, or political viewpoint?

I woke at 4:30 and looked at my iPad. I knew I wouldn't go back to sleep immediately, and I didn't want to wake my husband. When I saw the headlines, I hurt inside. By that time he was awake, and I just clutched him until he asked what was wrong. I told him an abbreviated version, enough to satisfy him, and continued to hold on tight. It helped, it really did.

Clinging tight to what matters is central to our lives. I clung to my husband and his solid presence. I clung to the fact that society at large would still consider this dreadful. And I clung to the knowledge that Jesus is with me, always. I am never alone.

What do the perpetrators of these attacks cling to? They cling to hate. And so, these attacks occur, and people like me ask "Am in in pain or am I numb?"
© Copyright 2016 Whiskerfacebythefireplace (whiskerface at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2089672-Dallas