*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2090053-Gradgard
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #2090053
Dwarves, a proud and noble race to say the least. However, only darkness lies beneth
PROLOGUE

Cold yet hot at the same time, the brimstone rises from the inner sanctum. Red sparks fly as smoke fills the dense air. Echoes of my brother-en flow through the halls like a beating heart pumping the body to life. Metal hammers clang, baring down upon solid steal chiming in a rhythmic pattern as if in sync with the earth itself. We are the Dwarves, powerful and strong, bold and commanding, docile and hidden. We spent years cultivating our craft in a seamless effort to create the ultimate blade or yore! But we were blinded by this venture, and thus cast ourselves into the depths without a second thought. The darkness changes you, twists and controls your mind as if to be some sort of puppet trapped within a trance controlled by one all mighty being. For a Dwarf, losing control of ones self is the greatest disgrace, and the greatest of pains. We govern ourselves, and we are proud to be of our own making! This is our story, the story of how we lost our very souls to the dream that we created. No Dwarf forgotten, and no Dwarf lost, this is why I write in the human tong. I will let the world know of our greatness, and of our foolishness that rot our destruction. So listen wanderer, to the tale that destroyed the greatest mine in all of Gradgard.

Chapter 1
The Ritual

It all began with the match making ritual. Now this wasn't some farce to select our bride or groom, but to select our craft. We dwarves were known for having a diverse ability in crafting and mining, however others found their talents more suited for construction and preservation. While the miners continued the great journey deep into the depths of our planet, others would create records of our people or design new structures to improve and expand our society.

I was a dwarf from a mid family home, nothing to special or unique. No, I was a mere middle class with a normal future ahead of him. My mother had passed many years ago so I never knew her. Though I was old enough to remember vague memories of my father. Though he wasn't an outstanding bureaucrat or anything, he was one of the most talented of miners in our entire clan! Slaving for months on end they would dig and build up massive tunnels that would span miles beneath the surface. One day whilst digging they discovered the Mar Jordrukat! In the human tong I supposed that would translate to big city, we are dwarves after all, and we certainly are not known for our linguistic ability. No one knows what lay withing the Mar Jordrukat, only that our entire mining crew vanished.

My dream was to become a famous miner like my father and to explore the city as he did. By doing so I would be famous for discovering the cause of their disappearance! This was the path I set out for, but the ritual was only about to begin. Once a dwarf becomes of age they are judged by the head families. They choose where you go, and what you will do for the rest of your life. Considering that I was the son of my father I knew where I would be sent. I knew that my destiny aligned with the finding of the Mar Jordrukat and nothing was going to stop me. I prepared myself for the event. I put on my Red shirt with my best brown overalls over the top, latched my fathers prized pickax to my back, Strapped on the old black boots my father once wore, Pulled the red work gloves over my hands, and tied my dark orange hair back into a warrior tail for good measure. After slightly rinsing off my beard to seal the deal I headed for my door. "First appearances are important, but confidence is what truly matters." I muttered to myself as I stepped outside my hovel.

The kingdom was as busy as ever. Dwarves of all kinds were running up and down the roads as if their lives depended on it whilst looking as proud as ever. Merchants lined the streets with their mobile shops selling everything you could imagine from metals, blades, tools, food, clothes, and even pets! Today was the day of the match making ritual after all which happens to be one of the most profitable events of the year. All dwarves from across the kingdom gather at the Leshon Tor, AKA The Sacred Core, in order to witness the ritual. One by one the dwarves are brought up to the head families and judged for all to witness. The Sacred Core is the largest of our buildings and resides in the center of the entire dwarven kingdom. Not only do us dwarves of the city attend, but even out reaching clans travel through the grand tunnels for miles to attend as well. Nobel dwarves are often escorted through a separate tunnel system known as the Berch Gunud, Otherwise meaning The Daughter Tunnel. These tunnels where swept through on a regular basis by dwarven warriors to ensure their safety. No creature ever gets within these tunnels and live to tell the tale.

As I made my way to Berch Gunud a bell chimed signifying the start of the ritual. I began to sprint to the center realizing that I was running late. "I will not disgrace my father in such a manner!" I told myself as I ran as quickly as my stubby legs could. Slowly I approached the massive bridge that stood above a flowing river of lava. The river flowed down into the Smithies 30 meters below in order to be used to create precious metals. The work schedule for a blacksmith was far more taxing than other jobs. They would work up to 12 hours a day with only a single break in between sessions. Once a dwarf ended his shift he would tag out with another worker in order to ensure that no lava went to waste. We dig our mining operations underneath grand volcano's and lava lakes in order to produce enough heat to melt the hottest of metals. However lava is a finite resource and we often move from one location to another. However, our kingdom resides underneath not one, and not two, but three massive volcano's! We have been using this lava source for centuries and it still shows no sign of slowing.

As I ran I could hear the drums bellow across the city beckoning to all who can hear it. At this moment I knew that the ceremony was about to commence. Luckily I was very crafty and realized that my uncles stable was on the way to the Leshon Tor. I quickly swung by and climbed over the fence into the animal pen. Fire lizards, though terribly ugly can sprint at nearly the same speed as a horse! These creatures were known for their dragon like nature, having a similar ability to create fire. However, these lizards would spurt fire out of a gland on their tale, rather than out the mouth. These creatures were about 9 ft long (including the tale) and 4 feet tall whilst standing on all fours. To intimidate predators it will stand on it's hind legs or even balance itself on it's tale for some extra height. Whilst balancing it will also extend it's Gill flaps (used to breath under water) also making it look larger than it actually is. These lizards usually come in colors of either red or orange, and are particularly docile. Most Fire lizards will avoid fighting and instead try to intimidate or scare their enemies. However if a predator is unfazed they will even resort in biting their own tale off as a distraction. This can cause problems, even with it's innate ability to re-grow detached limbs, without it's tale the lizard looses the ability to blow fire. My uncles job isn't just to ranch these creatures, but to train them to use their fire tales in combat. Luckily for me I own one of these lizards, and often use it to get around in a hurry. "THAX!" I yelled at the top of my lungs whilst listening to his patter as he ran towards me. "Good to see you boy, I need a lift." Quickly I mounted him and in a matter of moments we were off. Thax swiftly climbed over the fence "as I taught him without my uncles knowledge" and then began to sprint straight for the Leshon Tor. Now that I was on my fire lizard, it was only a matter of time.

About 2 minutes later I found myself at a massive gate on a stone bridge. Two dwarven statues towered over the bridge gripping onto their axes as if a great battle were about to start. I dismounted Thax and began to enter the Leshon Tor. As I entered the Colosseum I could hear the speaker beginning the ritual. "I, Rava will be the speaker for tonight's ritual! Today we decide the fate of these young dwarves who move forward into adult hood. For centuries we've dwelled within the underground city of Gradgard safeguarding the city from our enemies, and boldly exploring where no other being dare go. Now we pass on that responsibility to the next generation, today we entrust our hopes and our futures to these young dwarves!" The crowd began to applaud loudly, screams of excitement could be heard from every direction. "Now, let us begin today's ceremony beginning with Gina!" A small female dwarf quietly and slowly made her way up the steps to the speaker. She then stepped passed her and stood in front of the 3 Judges. "Gina" The center dwarf, and clearly the oldest began to speak first. his eyes drooped making them appear to be nearly closed, his gray beard lay flat across the table covering his own notes. His lips quivered in rapid succession with every word he said. "I am Drezel Yowan, High Elder of Gradgard. You are a very bright child, daughter of Aivlia and Hylar both hard working in the field of ancestry. You have proven yourself to be strong in mind and well in heart. Most of your scores are high, and your innate ability to stand for your fellow classmates was noted as well. Today you stand here prepared, in both portfolio and spirit alike! The question is, what shall we do with you. What task must you be given to bring forth a brightness in our future." The eldest dwarf nodded to the one on his left as if to signal their speech. However before the dwarf could speak the other dove right in. "Gina, I am Lisan Modar, fair maiden and head of the Research and Development Team." The woman looked only a few years younger than the old dwarf, her grey hair flowed freely downward in a tattered mess all tangled and frayed. She resumed a hunched position over the table, and every word she spoke was met with a sudden tapping on the desk. "You have proven yourself to be both beautiful yet steadfast. Never wavering in your academic and hard working life you pressed through to the ritual. Now you stand here before us, bold, proud, strong headed, and valiant. The only question remaining is, how and where to place you?" The woman suddenly smiled and winked at our last judge signifying that his turn has finally arrived. "Gina, I am Yarland Gorf, lead hunter and trapper for Gradgard. Today you show us your true colors through the accomplishments you've made. You've shown us your creativity, virtues, and integrity!" The man suddenly turned away and began to wheeze as if he had suddenly ran out of breath. One of his eyes was made of wood, and the other looked as if it were completely black with a slight maroon tone. The old mans teeth chattered and grind together after each deep breath he took as if he were in extreme pain. "You've practiced in every field, from different sciences, warfare, and even herding. Now your question shall be answered, for today your ritual sets you on the path for the future generation!" Suddenly all three dwarves spun around and began conversing to themselves whispering each word to ensure that we could not hear them. After a few minutes they turned back around with a piece of parchment in hand. The head elder reached out with the parchment towards Gina. "Take it child and read your answer to the entire Dornat!" (Dornat is a dwarven word for Kingdom) Gina slowly made her way to the pedestal that the original announcer was using. After a few moments of preparing herself she flipped over the card and read it to the multitude. "Gina, you are to be stationed as a Keeper!" She smiled and giggled to herself as the entire Dornat began to scream and cheer. I for one would be upset at that news, being in charge of collecting all of our ancient tombs is hardly and honorable position. Luckily for me I knew that my fate was sealed.
© Copyright 2016 ChallengeMapSalvage (giarth at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2090053-Gradgard