*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2091988-Silly-Little-Me
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Family · #2091988
Another Short story from Multiplicity...though this one is yet to be finished

It's late, I'm going to be late for my lunch with Aunt Regina and she'll make me pay for it. Streets are impossibly crowded today, if I didn't know better, I'd say it was on purpose. People seem to be walking slower than usual and more huddled up together than is the norm. I can't get through from one corner to the next in less than ten minutes. I dial up the restaurant's number on the phone and identify myself as Lady Regina de Ashbury's nephew, her lunch companion, I let them know I'll be twenty minutes late (hopefully I'll be there in ten, so this should calm her down a little) and to inform her how sorry I am for my tardiness. When they tell me I'm not the only one of her lunch companions to call in this situation, I'm astonished. I thought it would be just us for lunch.
I arrive at the restaurant, the mare takes me to the far end of the restaurant, to a private area where a large round table is set, there are a few guests sitting around it and of course, Lady Regina. I know perfectly well I cannot call her Aunt in front of other people so I make my way over to where she is and vow courteously "My Dear Lady Regina", I say as a way of greeting and I take her hand and gently blow on her glove as if kissing it. She smiles with some contempt on her face, the same look she's always had for me.
I look around, most of these people have a resemblance to each other, I notice, are they relatives? I start moving down the table when I hear Regina clear her throat, she is a lady of few words but much character. I look up at her and with her eyes she signals me to the chair directly to her right, this was new.
I sit down quietly and stare at the others, assessing them, trying to see what they are talking about or listening to. Suddenly, I feel Regina's hand on my arm; she smiles and asks about my girlfriend. I am completely lost for words in the surprise of her making casual conversation.
After a moment of delight, I tell her Zoe is fine, at work right now taking care of a young cancer patient. Regina glances at me and I think I see a tiny glimpse of admiration. "That girl is so dedicated, what she does must give her some horrid times, and yet, she keeps trying to save all those people, it's admirable, really." That's the first time I hear Regina praise anyone but herself. She has had no children, for no man has been up to her expectations. But her many brothers have had a large amount of children, except for my father who only had me before he died, of cancer.
A couple more people arrive at some point and now there is only one seat remaining empty. We all look at each other, some of them seem to be acquainted and have sat all together while others appear to be as lost as I am. Regina suddenly stands, she claps her hands once and there is immediate silence. She gestures to the mare and tells him to close the doors and not allow anyone else in the room but the appointed staff. "If Robert is going to be this disrespectful, then I won't waste a second on him" she states and then in a much lower voice she adds "...or a penny..."


As usual, Regina has selected the menu so we have no thinking to do or anything. For an entr we are brought asparagus in cheese sauce with tiny salad rolls on the side. These are delicious. Then there is a lovely onion soup, Regina's favourite, and some croutons. Main course is grilled salmon with spicy cre d'amandes and roasted baby carrots on the side. We have a delicious wine to go with all of it. Of course, Regina does not talk, she loves to enjoy her meals in absolute silence and it seems everyone around the table knows that. Dessert is brought, Lemon sherbet with blueberries on top. Everything is wonderful but I have a nagging feeling this isn't going to end as well as it is going.
After dessert, Regina stands up and puts her hand on my shoulder again, this is a surprise. While the waiters are clearing the table and bringing a coffee set, Regina speaks:
"The only one here who is safe and can be sure of his outcome, is my Nephew Thomas, the rest of you, will have to make an effort to get what you believe is rightfully yours." This statement sets out a murmur and questioning glances from everyone else, I just stare at Regina having no clue what she is talking about.
She pulls out a handkerchief and makes a dramatic show of drying her eyes and coughing lightly.
"Uncle Timothy has passed away last week, I haven't told anyone until now because I wanted to give him a proper farewell and check his last will." She pauses, mostly for effect, I'm sure.
"The will just states: Everything is for my dearest Regina Wilde, who will wisely give to each of our nephews what they rightfully deserve, except for Thomas Bont who will receive, with no competition, what Regina believes he deserves, she knows exactly what it is." Another pause, this one to sigh, she must feel quite burdened by such a responsibility, after all, Uncle Timothy was a very wealthy man.
"Thomas, I will speak to you privately after I tell your cousins what they have to do" My cousins? All these people are my cousins? I remember a family gathering when I was young, none of these faces seems familiar at all, though I must admit we all have some resemblance, the eyes...the hair...the freckles. Oh well, I'll just have to wait and see.
"The rest of you will have to earn your inheritance; you shall show what you can accomplish for this family and for this country, but mostly, for this world. You will have a month to bring proof of your accomplishments; I will then evaluate each and every one of you and decide your worth." She then turns taking my hand and drags me into a smaller room where two lovely armchairs are set around a coffee table that holds sherry, scotch, a coffee pot, an assortment of cups and glasses and a dish with some sweet biscuits. On the far end there is a teapot on a side table surrounded by two large, blue velvet upholstered chairs. This is where we're headed to with no hesitation.




"Thomas, dear, I know I have been very demanding of you. This has always been for your own good, I have always known how capable of wonders you are, and you have proven me right." I try to smile, but am so taken aback by her words I barely accomplish a grin. She replies with one of her own. "Look at you now, such a lovely gentleman, conducting business with Doctors without Borders and with Fair Trade, you are making this world a better place" My business is thriving and Zoe has involved me in the Doctors project successfully, we are helping people around the world have the medicine they need without having to pay almost anything. Many times, it's just a smile they have to pay, and it is enough for us. We are using their looks of happiness and wonder for marketing Fair Trade, it is all working beautifully. We are not rich, but we're alright and very happy.
"Aunt Regina, there's a pleasure in making other people smile, Zoe taught me that. I enjoy doing what I do and we get by quite well with what we make."
"Oh, my dear Thomas, you are such a wonderful person, that's why Uncle Timothy knew your worth, I have decided you will receive the Dover Cottage and a large sum of money for you and your girlfriend to get married and live well, but I also want to make a personal donation to your Happy Healthy World Foundation."
I'm speechless, I knew Regina would hate it but I have to get up and hug her, astonishingly, she returns the hug enthusiastically. I hold her for a few seconds and realise she's shaking lightly. Is she crying? This is uncomfortable, certainly, so I decided to be as polite as possible.
"Aunt, why don't I pour us some tea and you can fill me in on the details? You seem to have set quite a challenge for the others" This I almost whisper in her ear as I begin letting go of the embrace.
She nods and sits down quietly, I could see the glisten of unshed tears in her eyes. I pour the tea without looking at her so she wouldn't feel embarrassed.
"You know, I haven't cried for Timothy, I was so busy understanding his will and planning how to move forward with it, I haven't had time to grieve him, and I do miss him, Thomas, I do" She sounds sad, almost broken. I hand her a cup of tea letting my hand linger on hers for a moment longer than protocol required. I want her to know I am there for her.
She smiles at me; it's an honest smile, full of love. That's when I made up my mind Zoe and I would visit her every week and not let her be alone. I sip my tea and allow my mind drift towards the others, there will be speculation and jealousy towards me. I look up at Regina.
"Aunt Regina, the others, they will be jealous of me, and angry because I won't have to prove anything. I don't want that." I pause to gauge her reaction, none whatsoever. "How about I go out there and explain a also have to make a report, that maybe Zoe has a bit of it all assured because of how she took care of Uncle Timothy and that's what you meant by me being sure of my part. And then, I have a chance to receive some in my name if I follow the same task they all have to?" I finally breathe, my words had come out as a torrent, I really don't want any repercussions to this whole paraphernalia of inheritance going here and there.

Aunt Regina smiles "You have always been so considerate, my dear Thomas, we will tell them as you say, but be sure, you will receive what I've told you no matter what, that amount is rightfully yours and so is the cottage, I want you out of that wretched flat at once!"
We stand up, she hooks her arm in mine and we walk to the main dining hall to make the announcement. I look relieved even though I shouldn't considering what we're about to say, I should look concerned or at least consternated. So I thought about how Zoe would feel about all of this and about moving from our flat into the cottage. That did the trick, I was now thinking of complicated things and therefore it was reflected on my expression.
Luckily to me, Regina cleared her throat and delivered the message herself, causing murmurs and nods that expressed they had been starting to get jealous and angry and this news was calming everyone down. Now my next step was to tell Zoe, and Regina must have read my mind: "Call Zoe, ask her to come over to meet us, I need to tell her about this myself, so she won't be upset with you."
I sigh in relief and pull the phone out of my pocket, I call her and she agrees to meet us within the hour, now we have to get rid of all the cousins. Again, Regina reads my mind, "Alright everyone, I believe you all have work to do, so let's get going, I shall settle accounts here and then I'll go home to grieve the loss of my beloved husband." She then turns to me with a tiny wink "Thomas, would you be a darling and wait for me so you can walk me to my car, I'm feeling rather shaken by all these emotions" I nod "Of course, Lady Regina, it will be my utmost pleasure" I have to sound like I'm sucking up to her for the others, they'll say I am trying to gain her favour on this competition of sorts, and that's what I want them to think, that way they'll never realise it's all a pantomime.
As soon as everyone leaves, Regina and I sit for another cup of tea to wait for Zoe. I have been thinking of proposing to Zoe, and maybe now, having the cottage, I will. We've been living together for six months now, and we are extremely happy and in love. Once more, Regina seems to read my mind (this is beginning to scare me...): "I have something for you, Thomas, something to help you make an honest woman of that poor girl you have kidnapped into your tiny flat" She pulls something out of her purse and places it in my hand.
I am astonished once more; it's the emerald ring Timothy had given her upon asking for her hand in marriage. I hold the beautiful jewel in a trembling hand almost as if afraid it will just vanish from it. "Aunt Regina, I can't... it's your engagement ring, how could I take it from you?" She shakes her head as if saying I'm not taking it from her and then closes my fingers around it. It is for me to propose to Zoe, and to make Regina happy, and since I don't have any parents and Zoe isn't close to hers, I'll do it today, in front of Regina. I stand up and excuse myself, in the restroom I straighten my clothes and wash my face to try and look as fresh as possible.
I come out to find Zoe sitting in which had been my chair, talking to Regina animatedly about several of her patients. Regina is smiling, something that is a sight to behold, it's a genuine smile. At that moment I love Zoe even more, she is making this grief-stricken woman smile in her heart.


I rush forward and nod at my aunt from behind Zoe, just before she turns her head. I bend forward and kiss her forehead gently. Then I kneel to her left side, she offers to give me the chair and I feign horror at this. Then, Regina clears her throat diverting Zoe's attention. Expectation fills the air, together with an excited tension emanating from me, and Regina, I think.
"Zoe, darling, would you make me the happiest man on earth and do me the honour of accepting to be my wife?" It all comes out at once and I hold my breath waiting for her answer. She seems surprised, taken aback. When I open my hand and show her the ring she stops breathing at once.
"Breathe Zoe, and answer the man, he's about to die there!" Regina intervenes.
Zoe lets out a long breathe and nods with tears in her eyes "I have no idea how we can live in that tiny flat of yours, but yes, of course yes!" she says, rushing her words.
I sigh in an enormous smile and get up to hug and kiss her. Regina coughs "you won't live in the flat, Zoe, you can move into the Dover cottage, I have no use for it and I refuse to sell it, I want it inside the family and who better than you to have it." I'm relieved that matter was out of the way. Zoe leaps out of my arms to embrace Regina "Thank you, thank you, thank you!"
Regina looks genuinely happy, and Zoe seems to think for a minute before adding to her smile "Aunt Regina, will you be my maid of honour, please?" Regina is glowing, her eyes get tearful as she smiles "Zoe, darling, that position should belong to a friend of yours, someone younger and pretty" and this is when I get tearful and fall even deeper in love with Zoe. "Aunt Regina, there is no one else I'd want standing next to me when I marry the man who owns my heart."





© Copyright 2016 Sue_McG (sue__mc at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2091988-Silly-Little-Me