*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2092191-The-lawn-hiccup
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2092191
8/3 Daily flash
Prompt for 8/3
Write a story that includes the words: lawn, time, check



It was Thursday, that weekly venture outside to cut the lawn. I loved Thursday’s because I considered it my own personal down time, the place I could put my headphones on, blast music and tune the rest of the world out. I moved the four cars from the driveway, started up my trusty Craftsman Tractor, complete with the Briggs Stratton twin cam engine and settled myself in for the hour long undertaking.

With my iPod on shuffle, I backed out of the garage, contemplating which pattern I’d use today. The diagonal lines always looked pretty from the front window, but I’d grown accustomed to the straight horizontal lines. It took me another minute to finally make a decision. Diagonal it was. The sweet sound coming from the headphones put me in a good mood, and as I made that first cut through the greenery I began to unwind, relaxing into the seat and bobbing my head to the beat of the music.

Just as I made the final pass across the back lawn, I ran out of gas. I could’ve sworn it was full, but apparently I forgot to double check. I muttered obscenities to myself trudging to the garage for a gas can. Once it was filled I started it up again, and that’s when it happened. The knocking sound of the engine penetrated the music as I shut the tractor off. I prayed for a moment, shaking my head and cranked it again. Black smoke filled the air with the incessant knocking and I knew I couldn’t push it any further. I hated having that one last piece to cut, pondering how to remedy the situation.

Back in the garage, grabbing the weed whacker, I smiled proudly. Perfect! Time to get down to the nitty gritty.

WC:298
© Copyright 2016 Purple is House Florent (purpleprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2092191-The-lawn-hiccup