*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2092813-A-Conversation-With-Death
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2092813
Written for Dialogue 500 August 2016
DIALOGUE 500 PROMPT: DEATH COMES A’ CALLING

“Are you ready?”

Of course I'm not ready. What kind of game is Death Playing with me? “Not exactly.”

“I see. You think you have some sort of unfinished business here, do you?”

“That’s it exactly!”

“You only think you do, but honestly you do not.”

“How can you say that? There are a million things I must do before I leave here.”

“Classic evasion tactics. Name one thing that’s so important you must do. And I do not mean getting your affairs in order.”

Damn, Death isn’t making this easy on me.

“You may want to take a moment to think about it.”

“Are you saying if I give you a solid reason to stay, I’ll be granted extra time?”

“Tell me what is so imperative that I should push back your crossing date."

Me and my big mouth.

“See, you cannot come up with anything.

Ouch!

Now it’s time to go.”

“I’m thinking!” What would be a good reason to buy extra time? “I haven’t met my grandchildren yet. Or seen my children get married.”

“All of which you can do from this side.”

Death was good, I give him that. “But…”

“You are wasting my time with trivial things. It is time to leave. Hold out your left hand.”

“Who will carry on my legacy? I’ve worked so hard to hone my skills over the years—to help people.”

“I am aware you practice crystal healing, that you’ve learned how to control and direct your energy. Which is why I do not understand your hesitancy here. You believe in the afterlife, which means you should know that when I show up at your door, it’s time to go—there is no bargaining.”

“There must be something I can do, some way to extend my stay.” At least I hope there is.

“I am afraid not.”

“Who will inherit my gifts? Who will carry on in my place?”

“You will not lose them, if that is what you are worried about. They are yours and will grow even greater in your next lifetime.”

“I’m not talking about my next life; I’m talking about this one. Someone needs to carry on my family’s legacy in my place. Do you have any idea how difficult it was for me to learn on my own? To not have someone to guide me through all of the impressions and help me make sense of everything.”

“You are stalling. You do not have to give me your hand. It is mine to take.”

“So that’s it? There is nothing I can do or say?”

“Of course. You can thank me for coming and thank Creator for the time you did have. Be grateful for all of it. In time you will come to see what legacy you left behind.”

"Can't wait."

"I see your sense of humor is still intact."

WC: 478
© Copyright 2016 Purple is House Florent (purpleprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2092813-A-Conversation-With-Death