*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2093023-A-second-chance
Rated: E · Fiction · Drama · #2093023
Inspired by a true story - 298 words
The loss of little Lizzie led Paul to drink. She was forever caught in a fairy’s dream, perpetually a princess. The alcohol numbed the ache he felt whenever he thought of his stolen future: no tea parties, no first boyfriends to scare away, no awkward bodily issues to deal with, no heartbreaks to heal, nobody to walk down the aisle on a wedding day.

Paul heart failed just after nine on a Sunday morning.

Tom drove fast, buzzed from the exciting news. Ellie was engaged. Tom could hardly believe that the scrawny teenager he had hired to paint his house six summers ago was now a successful entrepreneur and rugged young man. He was so happy for his little girl. He wondered if he’d cry when he gave her away.

Adrift in thought, he never saw the cement truck cross the divide on the highway.

Ellie kissed the photo of her father. It was time to go, the church was filled with her family and friends to celebrate her joyous day. She froze as she turned, a strange man was standing in the doorway of the preparation room. Her eyes came to rest on the yellow envelope he had in his hand. It was the letter she’d sent after her father’s accident.

The stranger offered a soft smile and Lizzie slowly inched toward him. He took her hand and put it on his chest and cleared his throat.
“Ellie – that’s short for Elizabeth, right? My daughter’s name was Elizabeth too. We called her Lizzie. I’m Paul. Your father’s heart has given me a new life. And I’d be honored to escort you today, if you’d be so kind.”

Paul extended his elbow and as Ellie took it, he thought he heard the musical giggle of a little girl.
© Copyright 2016 competitivewriter (nateworrell at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2093023-A-second-chance