*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2093276-When-the-Road-Ends
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2093276
Sometimes you have to force yourself to just keep going.
So what’s next for this crazy road trip? Another road, another mile, another town I don’t want to be in.
I’ve seen it all. Everything from the flat stretches of asphalt that disappear into a glistening glow where the sun’s heat radiates off the pavement, to the serpentine mountain roads that snake through the Rockies, to the scenic byways of every small town from the west coast to the east. I’ve tasted the worst burnt picnic fare to delighting in the most expensive presentations of top flight chefs. I’ve smelled money in the form of farmers and ranchers supplying my food addiction to the rotting garbage of the inner city streets.
And it all leads to this craggy shoreline looking out over the ocean. It should be wonderful. It should be fantastic. It was only a colossal let down. Chasing one star after another, climbing that ladder to the top of the corporate tower, and what was there to show for it? Not one thing that mattered.
This is where truth meets me. These are the photos of all the people who claimed to love me, until something better came along. One by one I release them to float on the breeze to the waves crashing against the rocks below.
I wonder what it would be like to step off and float down to join the remnants of what was left of my life. It would take a person with more courage them me to find out.
A ragged breath, a stifled sob, it’s time to return to the chase. I program the next town into the GPS and off I go to find one more reason to keep going. There must be one.
[word count: 284]
Non-winning entry: Prompt for 8/13
Write a story that includes the words: snake, rock, tower

For those of you who know you can do better with those prompts, give it a try.
{link: 896794}
Hint for winning: The judges like fantasy stories and lots of over the top drama.
© Copyright 2016 Cheri Annemos (cheri55422 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2093276-When-the-Road-Ends