*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2093894-A-Wonderful-Life
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Death · #2093894
An elderly man reflecting on life and happiness
The sounds of the squeaking wheels in the background kept Roy from drifting off into a deep sleep. When he did close his eyes, his mind would take him back through memories of a wonderful life he lived. He would remember his late wife Maggie and all the emotions he felt about her would rush through his mind and body allowing him to feel his thoughts once more.

He would sometimes think back to the important memories of his life, the day of his wedding, the birth of their children and how proud he was of them as they grew up and had families of their own. These thoughts would fill his heart with joy, so much so he thought he might burst with happiness.

When the sounds of the daily running of the hospital quietened down allowing Roy to sleep, he would dream about Maggie only and how much he missed her when she died. In his dream he would see Maggie standing at the end of his bed calling him her, reaching out her hand for him to take and he almost did once but his dream was interrupted by the nurse coming in to check on him.

Now awake once more, he thought back to a few weeks ago when he visited Sarah and her family. It was his grandson's 8th birthday. He had helped blow up balloons for the party and at Kevins request, had told the children funny stories when all of a sudden the room had gone black. When Roy had eventually come to he found himself in hospital.

Tests were carried out and Roy, surrounded by his son and daughter was told he had a tumour. Roy held Sarah and Daniels hands' as they looked at him with sadness in their eyes. He was dying. Roy wasn't scared.

i'lll be sad to leave you behind. He thought. But I long to see Maggie again.

It was visiting time soon and Roy knew that this would be the last time he would see his family. Tears filled his eyes as he thought about each and every one of them

"Mr Rogers? Your family are here" smiled the small brunette in nurse uniform as she escorted his family in. Roy sat up, wiped the tears from his eyes and put a great big smile on his face ready to greet them.

"Grandad, Grandad, look what I made for you" said Kevin as he jumped up to sit on the end of his bed. Roy smiled as he lifted the large card which had GET WELL SOON GRANDAD written on it.

"That's lovely my boy" whispered Roy as he ruffled Kevin's thick dark hair. Sarah trundled in behind Kevin.

"Kevin, what have I told you about running?"

Sarah flashed a smile as she turned towards her father's bed.

"Hi Dad, Daniel is on the way, he's just picking Lola up from nursery. Sarah motioned to Roy to sit forward so she could plump his pillows.

"You look so much like your mother" he whispered to her as she finished.

Just then a small girl with curly blond hair came running into the room.

"Grandad" she exclaimed.

"Sorry I'm late got held up in traffic" wheezed Daniel as he caught up to his daughter.

"How are you Dad?" Daniel asked while reaching in for a hug.

"I'm fine son, fine"
.
"You look tired, I've uh brought you grapes, but Lola decided to eat a few on the way." Daniel rolled his eyes in his daughter's direction.

"Yummy grapes" agreed Lola.

Roy burst out laughing and with that they all joined in. The bell soon rang to signal the end of visiting time and upon hearing it Roy's heart grew heavy.

"Time to go kids, Grandad needs his rest". Sarah said softly while putting Lola's coat on her as Daniel hugged his father.

"l'll pop in and see you tomorrow after I've dropped Lola at nursery".

"Ready, Daddy? Bye bye Grandad" waved Lola as Daniel scooped her up off her feet.

Sarah leaned in and gave Roy a kiss on his cheek.
"I'll see you tomorrow too Dad after I've collected Kevin from school. Come on Kevin".

"Bye granddad"
.
Roy waved them goodbye as they left the room. As he lay down on the soft pillow, he replayed that afternoon's chatter chuckling at bits which reminded Roy of all the things that he and Maggie had also went through as parents when Sarah and Daniel were young.
Yes, I had a good life, he thought as he sank further into his pillows. His eyes seemed heavier than normal. Tired, yes I am tired. As he closed his eyes, drifting into unconsciousness he could see Maggie in the distance and at that moment he knew he was going home.



© Copyright 2016 Nasreen Chaudhary (mamacitanaz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2093894-A-Wonderful-Life