*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2096021-Perspective
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2096021
Flash Fiction
Perspective

Trent sat, eyes closed, remembering his life. As the memories floated across his mind he would smile, laugh, sometimes cry. A good life. A wonderful family, parents, siblings. Happy youth, an exciting career, love. His darling Jane, their wonderful children, now grown, Andy about to be a father himself! Or did that already happen? Trent frowned, he didn’t know. He had no idea when it was or how long he’d been out here. He opened his eyes, still dark, always darkness now.

There would be no rescue. They couldn’t get here in time. He didn’t know where he was, or even how he got here. He’s seen a dull flame some time ago, and he was still getting oxygen, but it was just a matter of time. Some anomaly in space, one minute everything was fine, the next this dark stillness. Now he just waited for everything to stop. He wished he could do more, but he was ready. He heard a loud noise, perhaps this was finally the end.

Shara heard a tiny cracking sound, finally, her young would hatch. She had plenty of food now, when they fly, she can bring them to the planet. It had been touch and go after her mate was killed. She could not leave the nest without the eggs getting too cold, yet she couldn’t survive without food. Thank goodness for this odd stone laying on a feather next to her eggs. It had kept them warm while she hunted. She didn’t know what it was, just that it was warm, though it was growing colder now. No matter, the eggs were hatching. The small object had saved them. She had been so lucky to find it floating in the sky just when she needed it. Her young would survive.
© Copyright 2016 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2096021-Perspective