*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2096406-Miracle-of-science
by vijay
Rated: E · Article · Health · #2096406
Boxer's heart beats in teen's chest
A 19 year old college student was contesting an intercollegiate boxing match in Surat (a city in Gujarat state of India). He won the first round, but when he returned to the ring for the second, he suddenly collapsed. He was rushed to a nearby Multi specialty hospital. ACT scan revealed that he had suffered from brain hemorrhage, after which an emergency surgery was performed. But it failed and doctors declared him brain dead. A helicopter flew the organ from the Gujarat city to Mumbai over a green corridor in an hour and 50 minutes and heart transplant surgery was conducted. A 15 year old with a damaged heart didn't have a fighting chance to make it to next week, had it not been for a youthful boxer's sturdy heart brought to him. Kudos to the organ donor and developments in medical science for betterment of mankind.

The above case is just one example. Approximately 3500 heart transplants are performed every year in the world. A heart transplant is a surgical transplant procedure performed on patients with end-stage heart failure or severe coronary artery disease when other medical or surgical treatments have failed. The most common procedure is to take a functioning heart from a recently deceased organ donor and implant it into the patient. The patient's own heart is either removed and replaced with the donor heart (orthotopic procedure) or, less commonly, left in place to support the donor heart (heterotopic procedure).
© Copyright 2016 vijay (66vijay at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2096406-Miracle-of-science