*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2096796-The-Newspaper
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2096796
Three Minute Read
The Newspaper

“Hey Jimbo, will you go grab me the newspaper, I left it in my truck.”

“What’s a newspaper?” Jimmy asked.

“You know the newspaper, the paper I read everyday…?”

“Oh the paper. Did you lock the truck?

“I don’t think so…” Dad threw him the keys in case and Jim fetched it.

“Why did you call it the news-paper?”

“That’s its name, we just call it ‘the paper’ like we call you Jimbo or Jimmy, a nickname.”

“But why ‘news’”

“Because it’s full of news?...”

“Pfttt, how can it have ‘news’ if they had to print it and send it to the store and you had to go buy it? Real ‘news’ is on TV and the internet.”

“I like to read it. Besides it’s not that old, look see this headline “Rondy runs for Mayor’ now I can read all about Joe Rondy and decide if I want to vote for him.”

“You’d be pretty silly to vote for Rondy.”

“And why is that Mr. Smart Guy?”

“He was indicted for money laundering, this morning, I just heard it on the TV…”

Dad looked at Jimmy. “I like the paper. I like the quiet of the paper, I like the non-electronic-ness of the paper, I like to hold it in my hands.”

“Which get all black from the ink…”

“Go away…”

Jimmy smiled as he left the room, he just loved to mess with his father.
© Copyright 2016 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2096796-The-Newspaper