*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2097747-The-Horn
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2097747
Flash Fiction
The Horn

Kevin looked at the horn Great Grampa had given him. Yes, Grampa was old and gave presents of things from boxes in his closet, but this didn’t even work. It was old, metal, and you could barely hear it. Grampa had been so excited to give it to him, “It scares the fairies!” he'd said, giggling, before he fell back asleep in his chair.

Mom told Kevin to carry it around for a few days, it would make Great Grampa happy, and then Gramps would forget about it. One of the problems was it scared their cat, Muffy. Kevin loved Muffy, and every time he blew the stupid horn, all you’d see was the end of Muffy’s orange tail disappearing through the nearest doorway. Now Kevin was careful, only blowing the stupid thing when Grampa was around. Mom told him another day or so and he could put it away for good.

Grampa was sitting in his chair waiting for dinner. Kevin waited to see if he’d forgotten yet, but he asked. “Hey boy, you got your fairy scaring horn?”

Kevin dutifully pulled it out of his pocket, smiling, and gave it a honk. Muffy flew out of the room at the sound, and Grampa laughed out loud! It was kind of neat to make Grampa laugh, Kevin thought, maybe he’d keep it around a while longer just to make Grampa laugh.

In the other room Aleia shivered. Shaking her arms and legs, she scolded herself for being such a ninny! Peeking through the door she saw the horn had finally been put away. It may be easier now that Kevin had it. As Aleia turned back into the cat, the fairy concentrated on her mission to finally get hold of the evil horn and destroy it forever.
© Copyright 2016 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2097747-The-Horn