*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2098310-Daily-Goals
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Activity · #2098310
Create three goals a day. A Writer's Cramp Contest prompt.

Your New Prompt is:

I recently read an article that said we should always set THREE goals for each day.

I’ve started doing so, but find that I rarely achieve all three. (Sigh.)

Still, it does make me list items that need to be done, and even though I often have to roll something over for the next day, the items do get checked off.

Write a poem or story about a person who decides to write down three goals each night, then attempts to achieve them the following day.

Does he/she decide this is a good thing to do, or does it completely drive the person bonkers?


Daily Goals


     As he drove down the road James had a lot of time to think about what he was going to do tomorrow. “I like the idea of a three-goal daily goal challenge. I’m just not sure if I can do them. At least not the ones for tomorrow. A lot is going to depend on what I find out when I get to work.”

     “Yes, I must be crazy. I talk to myself as I drive into work.” James looked at the driver in the car going by him. She quickly turned back onto the dark road in front of her. “I talk out loud to myself all the time. It’s the writer in me.”

     James slammed on his brakes to slow his car down. “Why are you going so slow now. A few seconds ago you were going a hundred miles an hour.”

     After looking at the speed limit sign he just passed James looked at his speedometer. “It’s seventy around here, not fifty-five. Where are the cops when you need them? I would try to pass her, but my exit is coming up. I’m not sure if I can get past her in time.”

     “Where was I? Oh, yeah. I was talking about my first three daily goals. This contest is one of them. Another one is the contest for Screams. I like to write a lot more for this contest, especially this month. The same is true for this contest too. My third goal for today is to start writing my Short Story for this month’s WDC Short Shot contest.” James exited the road he was on.

     “I don’t really need to start the third one admittedly, but with the Raid coming up within the next couple of weeks I need to write it as soon as possible. Waiting until almost the end of the month like I have been doing lately stressing me out. It also makes me more likely to make errors in grammar.”

     “The first two goals shouldn’t be too much of a problem. They won’t be if I am able to write while at work. I couldn't yesterday because I was in the company car all night. Tonight I should be able to since I will probably be the inside guard.”

     “I’m a Security Guard. That’s how I make my living so I can continue to write on Writing.com. Once I get to work I will know if I can complete this list or not. If I can I will complete my first two goals before the noon deadline.”

     “If not then no one will never see this entry. I am about to turn into work right now. So I should know in a few minutes if I can complete the first two goals.” James turned the corner into his job site and parked where he usually does. Then he got out and went into the trailer they had been using as a guard shack.

     About ten minutes later James left that trailer with a big smile on his face. He got his laptop out of his car and went to the job site where he was now assigned to. So I will be able to complete this first goal. I shouldn’t have any trouble with the second one either.”

     “I think I am going to like this three goals a day challenge. I’m just not sure if I am going to able to do it on a daily basis. Mentally, I can but physically I’m not so sure. It doesn’t really matter if I can or not. After all, I subconsciously create a three or more goal list every day.”

     “Right now it’s probably just going to be for this contest, but I would like to start doing it on a daily basis. As for the going crazy part of this prompt, that’s a hard one to answer. That’s because I have been crazy most of my life.”


Word Count = 656



© Copyright 2016 PureSciFiPlus (purescifi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2098310-Daily-Goals