*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2099615-Oct-15-Antagonist-Background
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Rojodi
Rated: E · Other · Thriller/Suspense · #2099615
A peek at Calvin's obsession
The sun was setting over the mountain, painting the sky in orange and magenta hues. Calvin Henderson had set up his crude campsite earlier in the day – a canvas tent was set near a stone-encircled fire pit, his supplies set high in a tree so bears and other animals would not have an easy time raiding them – and read a book while on the ground, swept of pine straw. He loved reading, but more importantly, he loved getting away from the small city that Albany was.

He recently graduated from Albany Law School and had employment starting in September, after a few summer months to get his mind ready for the rigors of practicing law. His father, a wealthy businessman, wanted to send his youngest son to Europe for a month’s vacation, but Calvin declined, wanting to spend time in the Adirondacks north of the city, as well as in the Helderberg range, south and west of Albany. Calvin loved to camp alone, loved the solitude.

When the light finally gave way, he retrieved his food and made a small dinner of dried meat and rice, some carrots and potatoes. He washed his cookware and utensils, sent them up the tree, and made plans to retire for the night.

This was his second night in the woods. He spent the first night with dreams of Carol Van Schuyler, the senior partner’s 18-year-old daughter. He had known her for years, but thought her just as a sister. Seeing her before his employment interview, however, had his feelings changed. Carol was no longer the impish little girl, but now a curvaceous young woman, with long blond hair and piercingly beautiful eyes. He just couldn’t get her out of his mind, though he tried.

Calvin read a collection of short stories presented to him by a law professor, “Read these when you need to empty your mind of the day’s work,” he was told. He hoped it would work this night: He wanted to sleep.

He thought of her as he drifted off to sleep.

Morning’s call – birds chirping outside his tent, the gentle rustle of underbrush by animals – awoke Calvin from his dreamless slumber. He rolled out of his sleeping bag and began his day, free of thinking of her.
After a quick breakfast of coffee and rolled oats, Calvin packed up his things and traversed out of the woods. He felt that bad weather was coming – could smell rain – and wanted to be out and into civilization before it hit.
Two hours later, he was in his car, the first rumble of thunder echoed through the mountains. Her smile came to his mind as he started the car.


Calvin Henderson sat in his large bedroom and looked out the window and wondered what she was doing right now, wondered if she liked to walk in the rain, holding hands as they walked around Washington Park. He turned away and walked to his desk. He opened a secret drawer and removed a folder. He opened it and several photos of a young blond woman spilled out onto the desktop.
He sighed and wondered what Carol Van Schuyler was doing right now.
© Copyright 2016 Rojodi (rojodi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2099615-Oct-15-Antagonist-Background