*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2099728-Watch-Your-Step----a-rewrite
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2099728
Amy's first day on the job is memorable.
         Earlier this morning, Amy had been greeted by her new boss with a brief handshake, and a clipped, "Watch your step." Now, she struggled to stay on her feet as her co-workers piled paper after paper onto her outstretched arms. There hadn't been time to survey the office upon her arrival. The rumor was true, this business meant business. She wanted to be indispensable, but hadn't she been hired to be a paper-pusher, not a paper-carrier? Somebody grabbed her shoulders, and turned her around. "Right, off with you then. Just follow the corridor, and watch your step."
         This must be a company motto. She did plan to succeed one step at a time. Whew, she mused, paper is heavy. Could this be some sort of office hazing? Was there any paper left anywhere?
         Amy quickened her pace after hearing what sounded like a "hold up." She could tolerate one prank, but no way was she accepting more paper. She remembered her Grandad's words. "Don't let them blow smoke up your skirt." Strangely, her skirt billowed. Oh my God, it was wind. Amy felt herself hurtling through space. Great, I can't even flap my arms.
         With a thwump, Amy's rapid descent ended. Struggling to draw a breath, the dazed woman recognized the interior of a dumpster. Grandad isn't going to believe this, I'm dumpster-diving.
         "Hey," a voice shouted, "are you okay? Didn't you notice the missing window?" Squinting, Amy mumbled, "I see it now." This was kind of careless, no, negligent even for an insurance company. While she awaited her rescue, Amy considered. Not bad for her first day on the job. She'd be filling out claims starting with her own. (280 words)
© Copyright 2016 SandraLynn Team Florent! (nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2099728-Watch-Your-Step----a-rewrite