*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2099904-The-Red-Caravan---Chapter-1
by Arthus
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Dark · #2099904
I continued the most popular work I've ever had. 3,200ish words, reviews more than welcome
Chapter 1: Omen at The Crossing

Boot on boot contact rouses the young man awake.

"Up Brightness, wash your face and make ready." Growler, noticeably deep voice giving him away. No complaint from the young man as he stretch's his limbs in the bleak morning sun, a yawn coming from his toes to be freed into the wild erupts forth into the new day.

"See, you did need sleep." Shambler crawling out from under the opposite caravan. Her normally well kept red hair a right mess of knots.

"And you need a good comb." Shambler promptly fires a middle finger at the young man. He snorts.

"Hurry up you two, the sooner we move the more I'd like you." Growler again, neither of the warriors pick up the pace.

Gathering his spear, Brightness joins Shambler as they trot towards the small water hole, most likely made by Surge, dunking his head below the clear surface Brightness feels the cold shock him awake, an odd sense of calm follows.

Flinging his head from the water, Brightness looks down at his reflection. The water is clear as new glass, and perhaps one of the only 'pure' things left in the world.

"My turn." Shambler nudges Brightness to the side, scooping up a bucketful of water and splashes it over her now naked top half. Water running through all the creases of muscle it can find, "Brush my hair for me Brightness?" With a played on groan Brightness picks up her wooden comb and runs it through her long hair, while Shambler scrubs the dirty from her top half.

"Braids today or a bun?" Brightness doesn’t mind the intimacy with Shambler, as its more out of mutual respect than lust for the opposite sex.

"I feel like braids, but leave your grubby hands out of it." Another bucket over her front to wash clean any remaining dirt.

"All yours." Brightness says, finishing off the last knot in her hair, turning around to give her some privacy.

"Oh please Brightness you don't need to turn around." Not this game again, an exercise in who can be provoked first.

"But I will regardless."

"Afraid your carnal desires will take over?" An opportunity.

"More afraid that my cock may wilt, and never rise again." And prompt thumping to the back of the skull followed.

"That's a bit harsh you blue eyed bastard." Success. Not that Brightness didn't like her body mind, even with the scars running all over her front, especially the large one arching across one breast and down to here hip.

"Jesting Shambler, not that I'd mind if you offered, but I wouldn't." Shambler rises an eyebrow at that, and cups both her breasts.

"Oh? So you do fancy these then?" Brightness turns back around.

"I'm sure many people would, I may even be one of them, but out of respect I will not touch you Zaria-nim." Zaria, her real name, true name, to be use only in confidence and when speaking directly to her, according to Brightness' own way of things. Nim, honorific of respect for a better.


"Mm?" The ruffling of clothes signals an end to the playing, "This is why I like you Brightness." An arm around the shoulder, and a quick peck on the cheek, "Other people lack the mettle you possess, it makes you unique, and I like unique."

"Blame my tutors, they are the reason I turned out like this." A hint for the bet.

"Tutors? Plural?" Shambler starts rambling away to herself, "A tutor would be provided to a noble, more than one would be expensive, else you were royalty but you lack the regal and pompous matter of a high born."

"About time you two finished." Rejoining the others of the troupe, the other now truly awake and ready for a long walk, Shambler mindlessly walks past the main caravan, shooting off ideas about Brightness' origins. Growler takes notices.

"You gave her a hint didn't you?" Brightness nods as the company drivers spur the Gres' into motion.

"I'll be the one to get the payout from this bet Brightness make no mistake." A statement, as if it's already fact.

"You will try Growler." Brightness climbs up next to the driver of the main caravan, Silent, for he speaks even less that Brightness which is to say not at all. He merely dips his hat at the young man. Then Keeper's voice cuts through the drab morning.

"Hasten my fellows, we approach Usurpers Crossing!" A smile across the face of many, sigh of relief from other, a low grumble from the pimp complaining about poor business, the scar on Brightness' cheek begin to inch, a bad sign. Rousing a tightened grip on his spear and a curious look from Silent.

"Something approaches." The thought disappears from his mind as Shambler runs up along side him, smile beaming.

**************************************************************************************************************************

Usurpers Crossing is an alright place, given the way the world is, one would think its peaceful if they didn't go outside at night. The people come out from their houses at the first sign of the company, some to trade wears, others to welcome new merchants to the town, and a select few to sneak inside the pink tents while their wives aren't watching.

Brightness stand at the edge of the gathering, disliking the crowded space others, like Growler seem to thrive in, even the Speaker is welcome in this place. Shambler stalks up to Brightness, only mildly concealing her presence, to the untrained she might've scared them, but not Brightness not today anyway. The constant itching of his scar is putting him on edge.

"Boo!" Shambler grabs his shoulder.

"Surprise." Although his mood is sour he attempts, at the very least, to distract himself. He flicks Shambler on the forehead, making her jump.

"Ho there friends." A man of blue skin with a ruby embedded in his head, an Althian, approaches his presumably daughter trying to both keep up and staying hidden from Brightness, "How goes yer' day?" The slight accent almost has a whistle through missing teeth accompanying it.

"Bright as always." A jest from Shambler, here hasn't been a bright day for almost 8 years, some blame the Arcanists for that, Brightness blames continuous bad weather.

"Hahaha! Tis true lass." A clasp hand in greeting for Brightness, a flick of an invisible cape and bow for Shambler.

Don't try and woo her my friend, you'll come off second best. The itching on his cheek increases, yet is still manageable. "And what of you bright eyed friend?" Annoying.

"I'm still standing." The small girl peeks from behind her father.

"Good, good. I have a request for you, if you'll accept it."

"No."

"No."

Almost in sync with their response the blue man is taken aback.

"Why not?"

"We have little time to be doing much else aside from guarding this here caravan sir, as much as we would like to help you."

"Aye, she has the right of it." Keeper, leader of the company approaches, twin axes swaying at his sides.

"We do nothing at others convenience sir, if it is convenient to us we shall otherwise we will not." Keeper is a tower of a man, much bigger than Growler who was already much bigger than Brightness, that comes with being a Jawel though, as does the outright monstrous beard.

Brightness leaves Keeper to discuss with the man on the finer points of their business policy, Shambler more or less skipping along with him. The itching on his cheek has grown increasingly annoying.

"Brightness?" Shambler wears a concerned look as her hand falls on his shoulder.

“It itches.” A twitch of the cheek, and a steady hand resting on her belt, Shambler draws closer to Brightness.

“Is it them? Or another type of beastie?” Brightness reaches for the scar, the itching getting the better of him.

“Standard beast I think, if the Gal’gula were here I’d be on the ground and most of these people would be dead.” A strange shiver of nostalgia runs over Brightness, again the scene of fire greets him.

You let them die.

You promised them safety, then threw them to the wolves.

Silua” ‘Silence’

“Brightness?” Shambler’s hand on his, nails bringing up flesh. Yet no pain through his face.

“Keeper!” A very loud shout from the opposite side of the caravan, Brightness drops his spear from the shoulder into the hand and takes off into a run, even without warning Shambler keeps pace easily.


A shrill cry draws the attention of everyone as a man with his guts spilling all over the ground stumbles through the doorway of his home, before a small black skinned thing leaps onto his back and tears his jugular out using its needle like teeth.

“Everyone back!” Keeper, at the forefront axes at the ready. Growler flanking the thing as it tears through the man’s body.

Brightness wastes no time with trying to push his way through the group of people between him and the creature, his cheek feeling on fire this close to the thing. He spots a set of barrels and crates which, to his eyes, make a suitable walkway up to the roof of the nearby houses. Striding up to the thatch roof, much to the surprise of the onlookers, the thing looks up at him, a ravenous look in it’s eyes. Shambler, Keeper and Growler all pen the creature in, leaving the only exit back into the house it sprung from, hopefully with Surge watching the back door.

Cou, fil dalic klese mongur!” ‘Come, you foul fucking mongrel’ The creature’s muscles barely twitch before it has set off towards Brightness, right into the path of Growler.

Hefting his large plate shield Growler slams it into the ground just in front of the creature, causing a satisfying gong sound to ring out across the empty ground as it’s head meets the smooth Darksteel surface. Leaping onto the big man’s shoulders Brightness swings his spear around the side of the shield, butt of his Voxi meeting the beasts temple.

“Shambler-Nim!” Shambler moves in, the almost unnoticeable edges of her Talons are soon gleaming with the creatures dark red blood, the left straight she fired merely rends flesh from the creatures thigh as it springs back. Stepping over the shield with Growler at his back Brightness advances on the animal, spear held downward with his elbows bent, primed for quick movement.

“Steady. Don’t let it get away.” Keeper and Shambler on one side, Brightness and Growler on the other. The situation would appear in the companies favor, but only if you asked the inexperienced when it comes to fighting Fiends such as this thing.

“Keeper-nim, watch it carefully for me. Growler, be ready in case I stumble.” No words for Shambler, no words needed since after the first few fights they’ve had together. The two large men nod.

“Might as well ask me to bring the sun back Brightness.” A smirk across his lips, it fades quickly when the creature moves for Brightness again.


In this moment, when death rushes towards him, the world slows for Brightness. Everything has its place, in this one moment, the creature leaping towards him, his once leveled spear quickly flicks upward, the red tip of the blade sinking into the beasts shoulder. As it’s needle like jaw spreads apart, Brightness rips his spear downwards, slamming the creature into the ground. It’s shoulder becoming a weird mess of blood and bone as Brightness steps on its neck, pinning it to the ground.

Without anymore than a look Shambler rushes forward and, with bladed foot, delivers a kick to the back of the creatures head, sending the odd black ball sailing right into Growler’s shield before it slowly sinking down to the ground.

A moment of calm that seems like eternity to Brightness pass over everyone, those involved in the fight and those watching. As Shambler settles herself after the kick, she slowly turn to Brightness and wears her warm smile.

The world speeds back up and the crowd gives a cheer, if a little lacking in the passion department. Probably due to the body of the creature still in it’s death throes, sharp nails and claws thrashing about.

“Good kill Shambler.” Keeper comes from behind and gives her a hearty slap on the back, knocking any air she could’ve had in her lungs back into the world. A weak cough sputtering from her mouth. Brightness stares at the creature, the itching on his cheek fading.

Flamma.” A whisper from the Speaker and the body of the creature slowly builds a low blue flame before nothing of the its bloody end remains.

“Where did that thing come from?”

“Poor Jean, for this to happen with she’s away.”

“Dad get up! DAD!”

Brightness examines the tip of his spear, the black blood that should’ve stuck to the blade slides off onto the ground like oil away from water. Growler approaches Brightness.

“Missed a spot there lad.” Brushing his cheek, noting the blood still dripping from Brightness’ own.

“Flesh wound, think nothing of it.” Growler looked at Brightness for a moment, then moved to join Shambler and Keeper whispering, “Don’t let it rot.” As he passes Brightness.

“Another day another Fiend. Just another day in the life of Brightness yes?” Touching his cheek again, it comes away with flesh blood, the cuts from his nails still open. Brightness turns to the Speaker. There was an odd look in the Speaker’s eyes whenever one of the Fiends was killed, not quite sorrow however, sorrow was reserved for the humans that died, something closer to a solemn sense of regret maybe.


Such caring feelings for Fiends were an alien concept to Brightness, little else but disdain filled his heart for these creatures, of course not without reason. Though you could say that same disdain was more directed at the people who created such monsters, along with the most blinding rage a person might possess.

Sana” Lost in his thought Brightness failed to notice the hand of the young girl on his scratched cheek, a bright green glow coming from her hand. The flesh pulling itself back together in a rough way, give it some days and you wouldn’t even know it had been there.
The young girl had tears flow from her eyes, and blood covered her simple dress. Get up Dad!
The recently deceased man's daughter.

“Thank you.” A simple phrase, little more than a soft whimper from the girls quivering lips. Sadness was a feeling Brightness was well acquainted with.

“No tears little one.” The words spring from Brightness’ mouth as he kneels down level with the girl, “No tears after today, no tears for those lost.” Placing a hand on the girls shoulder Brightness becomes aware of how much smaller than him this child actually is, “Save those tears for when the world rights itself again, until then.”

Become tempered steel to protect those weaker than you” No those were not his words to speak.

“Become the rock that people in this world need, and show them that beautiful things still exist.” The girl's dark eyes are completely still, the tears slow to a crawl, and a look of bewilderment paints her face.

“Your eyes.”

“Are incredibly bright I know.” Words from Shambler as she makes her way over, the young girl spins to regard her, “Be careful though girlie, you might find yourself chasing those eyes.” This game again, must be trying to lighten everyone’s mood. A wry smile pointed at Brightness.

“Speaking from experience Shambler?” The young girl flicks her head from side to side, trying to keep track of both adults.

“But of course Brightness, I wouldn’t of kept you around this long otherwise.”

“Forgive me if I don’t believe you Shambler.”

“Oh don’t be in such denial darling.” Shambler makes the exaggerated effort to fall on Brightness’ shoulder.

“Are you two married?” The little girl, the same look of bewilderment on her face as before.

Laughter erupts from their bellies. Grabbing everyone’s attention away from the Scorch mark on the ground.

“Oh little girl, I’d never marry this horrid woman.” A quick elbow to the ribs.

“Please Brightness, you wouldn’t get past the casual betrothal.” A played on look of hurt from Brightness.

“Oh my heart Shambler, why must you break it so.” A good laugh all round between the two, even the little girl is giggling.

This is alright. Brightness thought, It’ll make them forget that thing, at least for a little while.


The day followed on a much lighter tone, deals were made between the traders, various people left and joined the caravan, barbs were continuously traded between Brightness and Shambler, as well as anyone foolish enough to try and join their games.

When the day finally began to grow dark and most sensible people went to bed, Brightness found himself sitting atop the staple Red Caravan, eyes looking over the village and towards the twisted and devastating landscape beyond.

“Figured you’d be here.” Speaker, nothing if not consistent.

“Mmm.” The red eyes of the less desirable monsters are just starting to become visible in the low light.

“What did you see today?” Brightness cocks his head.

“I saw a Fiend rip a mans throat out and his daughter morn the loss.” Slipping back into his native language to carrying the conversation.

“Don’t be smart.” The Speaker’s straight face always aroused some sort of fear in Brightness.

“I saw red.” His mind flicks back to the moment he and the Fiend connected.


A dim lit room, with the violet glow of powered gemstones. Hands searching inside of him, tearing through muscle and bones, screams find no purchase in his dry throat.

Caedo. The word pulsates in his mind.

Caedo. A feverish hunger runs through him.

Caedo. Blood and gore fill his vision.

Caedo. The bright eyed man with the spear…


Harbinger


A lost look in Brightness’ eyes as he stares down, turning to the Speaker with tears in his eyes.

“He was a young boy, they took him and made him into one of those things, planting that fucking phrase in his head.” A tear slides down his cheek, “And he called me Harbinger.” That’s probably the worst part.

No words from Speaker, just an arm around his back and a tender embrace.

“That’s enough.” He has no fear of crying in front of Speaker, they are well and truly past that petty stage in a friendship, “Who did this to you?”

“Fate, the heartless bitch.” A chuckle from Speaker, even if Brightness said it through the slights pauses of his crying.

“How aren’t you broken?” A whisper, meant for these two alone.

“Can’t break what’s already broken.” A sad truth for Brightness, one of his only truths.

“Best try and repair you then.” Why? Brightness sets his spear on the roof of the caravan and returns Speaker’s embrace Why are you so kind to me?


They break from their hug, smiles on either face, moods a little more somber, but still light.

“I am glad I found my way to this caravan Speaker-choe.” Speaker stands, moving off to bed.

“So am I, brings some excitement to this dull group.” Chuckles from Brightness.

“The others might be hurt at that Speaker.” Speaker places hands on hips.

“They can go bugger themselves.”

Laughter mixed with a farewell Speaker departs, leaving Brightness to his own thoughts, still looking out onto the landscape, searching.
Searching.


Searching for those amber eyed bastards.
© Copyright 2016 Arthus (arthus at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2099904-The-Red-Caravan---Chapter-1