*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2100364-Evidence
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Crime/Gangster · #2100364
Flash Fiction entry 10-22, edited for Punct. Inc. Words: 301
Tori Drummond sat alone at the small table with an old box television and video cassette recorder on a tall wheeled cart positioned just behind her.

"Tori, would you please tell us about the night of September 21, 1999?" asked a man sitting with several others in front of Tori.

A woman pressed the remote and an image appeared on the television.

"Yes, John and I were sleeping on our boat, Rascal, when I was awakened by thick smoke in the sleeping quarters." Tori looked up to gather her thoughts.

The video showed Tori walking down the dock with a red can of fuel. She then splashed the fuel on both sides of the boat and lit a match which started an intense blaze.

"I jumped out of bed and found John unconscious. I couldn't move him, so I had to go for help. I grabbed my great-grandmother's string of pearls from beside the bed and exited the boat. When I got outside, that's when my nightgown caught on fire." Tori gestured to the burns on her left arm and cheek.

The video showed the flames leaping up onto her shirt sleeve and her frantic attempts to extinguish them.

"Some man, I don't know who he was, threw a shirt or something on me and put out the flames." Tori stopped and inspected her left hand.

Tori is shown jumping into the water and calling for help.

"By then, the fire was too intense to get back onboard to rescue John," said Tori. She looked at each of those seated before her.

"Thank you. Based upon your testimony, Tori Drummond, your parole is denied," said a man from the table.

Satisfied, John's sister smiled, turned off the television, collected her video tape and left the room.

Prompt;
© Copyright 2016 NeedingBeachDuf 🐠⛵🏝️ (meduf at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2100364-Evidence