*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2100602-Answering-the-Call
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · War · #2100602
A war story at sea.
The Watchman pulled and the bell sent sound waves through each cabin window hitting the men in the dead of the night but without hesitation they moved into position, well-orchestrated, climbing into uniform, falling in one by one staggered from the rooms into the hall, one side, then the other and back, zipping tightly into line, trotting in cadence and calling out their steps “Sound off one, two…” as they headed for their position on the deck. A brilliant white flash preceded a thundering BOOM rocking the men back and throwing them down hard onto the floor boards of the ship.
The Captain jumped from the hard cushion on his bunk and sprang into action by taking the wheel and pulling back hard. He shouted for the men to take their posts and man the guns “Prepare to return volley, FIRE!” The men, who were able to regain their position, pulled hard and in unison sent a barrage of missiles skyward. The force pitched the bow upward and sideways but they were prepared for this one and they held strong as they watched the spiraling trails of smoke from the missiles make their way toward their target. As the projectiles dropped onto the horizon a large orange ball filled the sky and sent a blast of hot air back over their ship.

Then the artillery crew reloaded and the gunners prepared for the next round. They moved into position and waited for the command to send another volley while nervously anticipating a pounding on their own vessel at any moment, but the command never came. Their blast went unanswered however and a huge dark gray cloud of smoke filled the darkening sky as it blocked all traces of moonlight onto the water. The crew silently reflected, then retired.
© Copyright 2016 flyer10624 (flyer10624 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2100602-Answering-the-Call