*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2100725-KINGDOM-KAMPERS-2-Our-Second-Summer
Rated: E · Article · News · #2100725
My article sharing about the second summer of Kingdom Kampers in GRACE NOTES newsletter.
I wrote this article for the August 31st, 1980 issue of the Grace Fellowship church newsletter: GRACE NOTES.

KINGDOM KAMPERS' SECOND SUMMER

Another chapter in the success story of Kingdom Kampers was written this summer.

The first week, July 21st - 25th, saw counselors and staff leading 22 young Kampers, 6-to12, in an exciting session of activities!

Daytime activities offered boating, swimming, archery, crafts, nature talks and walks by our resident nature expert, Steve McKee, fishing and bowling at Lex-Lanes.

Evening treats the first week were: a movie on Monday, Clown Show and Carnival on Tuesday (Head Counselor Robin Rothaar was volunteered by elder Mark Hamilton to be the "victim" at the Wet Sponge Throw Booth, to the delight of Jenny Masters and the other young Kampers!), a performance by "The Music Machine" on Wednesday, and our annual hayride and closing campfire on Thursday.

The second and third weeks, July 28th - August 8th, 15 Kampers, ages 13-to-25, were given a taste of Kingdom Kamp life! In addition to the other activities, there were daily devotional times and lessons.

Evening activities which were particularly popular these weeks were: two squares dances (you haven't enjoyed a square dance until you've taken part in a physically-challenged one! The delight on the faces of the dancers, some in wheelchairs, others with crutches, is a sight you will never forget!); an informal concert by siblings Dan and Sarah Foster (the girls really flipped for Dan!); an exciting command performance of "Ah! There's the Celebration" upstairs in the Lodge (with the girls flipping again, this time for "Crazy Round-n-round" Tom Dalton!); and our semi-formal banquet and Kamper Awards program the last night.


© Copyright 2016 Steve McLean (stevemclean46 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2100725-KINGDOM-KAMPERS-2-Our-Second-Summer