*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2101004-An-Interrupted-Muse
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2101004
Daily Flash Fiction Challenge 10/28/16
"Daily Flash Fiction Challenge"   by Arakun the Twisted Raccoon
Prompt: Coffee ~ phone ~ scare


They were prodding me, talking nonstop in a desperate attempt to be heard, to come alive on the pages of the computer screen. I couldn’t get my morning coffee and the laptop booted up fast enough for them. I sat down, took a sip of the steaming mug and smiled as I checked emails and did some surfing until I couldn’t take it anymore.

All right already.

The early morning quiet of the house made it so easy for my muse to come to life. The words came pouring out, filling the blank document in a flurry as I became consumed and lost within the story. The ticking of the clock faded, my fingers flying over the keyboard, the caffeine long since forgotten. That is, until a familiar sound pierced the quiet and flow to scare the life right out of me. I jumped in my chair, looking around the room for that cell phone and scowled. The vile thing glowed, chiming once again as I took a deep breath to calm my rapid heartbeat.

How many times have I told them to mute it before going to bed? I set the laptop aside, and fully intended to mute that phone, until a better idea hit. I got up, held the power button and shut the phone off, smiling to myself.

That will teach them.

My muse grumbled, irritated about being interrupted, as if they were the ones jolted out of their skin. I took another swig of my now cooled coffee, and jumped back into the story.

WC: 259
© Copyright 2016 Purple is House Florent (purpleprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2101004-An-Interrupted-Muse