*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2101642-A-Healer-is-needed
Rated: E · Novel · Fantasy · #2101642
A very small excerpt from this new novel that's been making a racket in my head.
         "You really should take better care of your gowns, milady." The young maid rebuked, her chubby cheeks rosy with effort as she scrubbed with vigor at a particularly stubborn mud stain on the gown she was washing.

         Sitting at the stone table nearby Mianyse scoffed, grinding fresh bluesong leaves for a new ointment. "What for? They're work clothes. If mama didn't faint in horror every time I suggested it, I'd be wearing Kaevin's clothes instead."

         The maid giggled in scandalized amusement. "Breeches, milady? That would be so improper!" Giggling still, she fanned herself, uncaring when drops of soapy water landed on her ample bosom. "I mean, you'd be showing your legs!"

         The Healer shrugged, unfazed. "It's not like I'd be wearing them at Court, Naladde. And it'd be much more practical to forage for herbs in the forest, or by the river. The dresses get caught on the smallest roots!" She complained.

         "I suppose that's true." The maid conceded. "But still, you have quite scandalous views for a highborn lady, milady."

         The noblewoman chuckled. "That's daddy's favorite complaint."

         The fast clip-clop of a stallion's trot interrupted their relaxed banter. "That sounds like Kaevin's horse." The healer mused, and the maid hummed in agreement.

         It soon was confirmed that it was indeed the young warrior, returning early from the capital. He clearly wasn't the bearer of good news, however, if his troubled front and the stallion's labored snorts were any indication. He didn't stop until he reached the healer's cabin. "Mia!" He called, not bothering to dismount. "Get your supplies ready; you are needed posthaste at the Palace! The prince has been severely wounded!"

         Mianyse immediately sprung from her seat. "What kind of injury?" She asked over her shoulder as she walked toward the small cabin to fetch her emergency bag.

         "Burns! All over his body!" Her body called after her.

© Copyright 2016 Symphony of the World (aletheya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2101642-A-Healer-is-needed