*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2102115-Just-Another-Day-C-and-B-series-1
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #2102115
An elf and a Felinx looking for a long lost crown is really just another day for them.
Cynthia pinched her nose in frustration. “Is this really necessary?”

“Yeah, why wouldn’t it be?” Bec didn’t pause as she kept scouting. Her tail twitched like an impatient snake; this wasn’t the first time Cynthia pestered her with questions before a mission.

"Well, we're standing outside this cave dressed like the Blood Taken."

"Yeah, and? They're great disguises."

"Bec, I'm not even a Felinx and the Blood Taken are an exclusively Felinx group. The first three scouts noticed right away and I had to drag their bodies into the brush."

"Shut up and get in here."

Cynthia rolled her eyes and sighed as she followed her partner into the cave. Why did she always feel the need to do things the complicated way?

The caves always started out the same. Dark, musty. This one had a small stream running through the middle, so that also meant wet and slippery. Cynthia cursed as her boot slid off a wet rock and she tumbled forward into her companion. Bec didn't even need to turn around to catch her, she just extended her arm behind her for Cynthia to hold onto.

"By Isros, you have the grace of a drunken elephant, and you're supposed to be the elf, the most graceful of us all. Why do I bring you along for these again?"

"Because you enjoy my company? And also to tell you that you're about to walk into an energy barrier," Cynthia said as Bec instantly froze and Cynthia stepped past her to examine the barrier. She walked from one wall of the cave to the other and noticed the small talismans. "Yup, just as I thought. This is amateur work, so give me just a second." Cynthia closed her eyes, muttered a quick incantation, and smiled when she felt the energy dissipate. She looked back at Bec. "You're lucky I'm here or else you would've fried."

Bec crossed her arms and scoffed. "I'd have been fine. Now let's get going; these guys aren't going to take out themselves." Cynthia didn't bother to correct her that they were really just trying to find out what they were after since she wasn't about to get in between Bec and a lifelong grudge. Once they passed through, Cynthia put up another barrier to make it look as if they had never been there.

The tunnel stretched on for what felt like a mile. The small stream died shortly after crossing the barrier, but Cynthia noticed the moss on the sides of the cave. The glowing mushrooms peeking from the cracks gave her comfort as they reminded her of the towering mushrooms of her homeland. She ran her hand along the wall and felt the plush moss at her fingertips. She nearly collided with Bec, who had stopped.

"What is it?" Cynthia asked. Elves had good eyesight in the dark, but definitely not as good as Felinxes.

"The tunnel ends here and splits." Bec closed her eyes as her feline ears picked up the sounds. "To the left, I hear water dripping on top of water, probably a lake. To the right I don't hear much; sounds like a faint whistle which probably opens into a cavern a while down." Bec opened her eyes. "Which way you think we should go?"

"Left."

Bec furrowed her eyebrows from Cynthia's answer. "Cynth, you always say left."

"Left is the scholar's direction. Plus, I want to see this lake." Cynthia heard Bec grumble something about stuck up elves as Cynthia walked past her and into the tunnel ahead. She may not be able to see as well as Bec could, but she could feel that the tunnel was starting to open up.

Bec was definitely right about a lake. The tunnel opened into a large cavern with a cracked opening in the ceiling that let the moonlight flow through. It made the lake sparkle and lit up the slick walls. Cynthia took a deep breath and admired the sight. This was the part she loved most about her job; going out into the field to see the hidden wonders Valdrian had to offer. Her eyes drank up the scenery around her until she realized Bec had wandered off somewhere. A little panicked, Cynthia noticed another tunnel coming from the other side of the lake. As she made her way around, she saw the tunnel was lit with torches. Finally, a sign of the Blood Taken. She was beginning to wonder where they actually were in this cave. The tunnel opened up into a smaller cavern filled with beds and desks. Bec was rummaging through a chest at the end of the bed closest to the opening.

"For a pack of bandits they suck at stealing anything valuable. The mother clan in the Whispering Steppes would be disappointed."

"That's because they've just been stealing manuscripts and old tomes that probably lead to something valuable." Cynthia looked over the desks and under beds for any sign of a journal. One of them must have written down the knowledge they'd received from the information they'd stolen. She found what she was looking for on what she figured was the chief's desk at the far side of the room. Cynthia picked it up and began to thumb through it.

"Day 3-Set up camp inside Moonglow Cave...Day 11-Stole manuscripts from traveling scholar ...Day 18-Boys are getting rowdy, Lyndon stole Hithgar's food and started a fight..." When is the chief going to mention what they're looking for? Cynthia flipped to the last entry. "Day 27-We've finally broken into the castle. It's old and crumbling, but it's definitely the one. All we have to do now is find the chamber of..." Cynthia stopped. "There's no way."

Bec stopped rummaging through chests and looked over at Cynthia with a puzzled expression. "What is it?"

"The etheric crown." Cynthia put a hand to her mouth and shook her head. "That's impossible. The etheric crown was said to have been lost centuries ago after the mountain came down on Silverlyn Castle, supposedly killing everyone inside."

"What's so special about this crown?" Bec asked as she continued to make her way down the stack of chests, clearly disinterested. Cynthia laughed in disbelief.

"What's so special about this crown? Only that it belonged to Queen Nivene, one of the greatest rulers in Valdrian, and it's said Isros himself forged it for her out of the Lifestone because he was so captivated by her. The implications of this crown actually existing would be a scientific and historic breakthrough! There's so little Lifestone left to stu--" Bec's hand clamped Cynthia's mouth shut. Bec's speed still astounded her; Bec was literally on the other side of the room a second ago.

"Oh no no, none of this scholarly history bullshit again. Is the crown pretty?"

"I would guess so if it's made of Lifestone," Cynthia mumbled through Bec's hand, which was tickling her face.

"Well then, let's get a move on because I need something actually shiny out of this job." Bec removed her hand and made her way back to the lake as Cynthia followed and put the chief's journal in the pouch on her hip. It would make a nice keepsake when this was over.

They made their way back to where the path split and continued on to the right. Cynthia realized that the faint whistling Bec heard earlier was probably the opening to another cavern. Maybe into Silverlyn Castle? The idea they were looking for the etheric crown still sent shivers down Cynthia's spine, but it also made her curious. Could it actually have survived the cave in? She was so mesmerized by the thought that she was taken aback when Bec shoved her to the side. Cynthia stumbled and caught herself on the wall as she felt one of Bec's daggers fly past her ear and take a few strands of her hair with it. Cynthia looked up to see it found its target in the back of a Blood Taken's head. She looked back at her partner.

"Really?"

"It's not my fault you're so tall. I would've just told you to duck, but then it would've gone in the back of your head instead."

"You didn't have to get my hair too," Cynthia said mournfully as she held the cut golden locks gingerly in her hand.

"It'll grow back," Bec scoffed.

"Easy for you to say; you're covered in fur," Cynthia shot back. Bec knelt by the dead man and retrieved her dagger. She wiped it off before sheathing it at her hip.

"This guy here looks like a scout. He was probably just patrolling this tunnel, so we can expect to find more of them now." Her whiskers twitched as she sniffed the air and scrunched her nose. "Definitely smells like more of them. The tunnel will open up soon, so be ready."

Cynthia muttered to herself as she felt the bow start materializing in her hands. She preferred to stay back and let Bec handle the up-close-and-personal stuff. They moved cautiously down the tunnel until it opened up. It seemed to open into a large area that looked almost like a ballroom. Before Cynthia could become fully engrossed in her surroundings, Bec pulled her quickly down by some fallen rubble.

"Before you get all worked up, yes this is probably Silverlyn Castle, and yes, that means that crown is probably actually here somewhere. I pulled you down before you realized because I don't need you getting spotted right now," Bec whispered. Oh, I guess she actually was listening earlier. Bec motioned her head upwards and Cynthia's eyes followed. Around the edge of the room was a balcony that probably led to the second floor, on each side of the room stood a scout. "Think you can take them out for me?" Bec asked.

"Of course I can," Cynthia said with a cocky smile as she formed an arrow in her hand and nocked it in her bow. Before she loosed the arrow, she heard Bec whisper again.

"Can you do it in five seconds?" She didn't even need to look to see that toothy grin. Cynthia lowered her bow and took a second to look at both scouts. They were about the same height on the same level platform. She took a deep breath, brought her bow back to eye level, and released. Immediately forming another arrow without moving her hand, she moved her arms so they were in line with her next target and released again. She hadn't even watched to see if her first arrow followed through, but was satisfied when she heard two soft thumps.

"Guess the drinks are on me when we get back, huh?" Bec sighed beside her.

Cynthia smiled and extended a hand to her partner when she felt an odd sensation. A strange kind of pull that was telling, more like commanding, her to follow. She looked at the passageway across the room from them where the pull felt strongest.

"Bec, I think we should go down there," Cynthia said as she held up a hand to stop Bec's objection. "I don't really know why, but I have this weird feeling. It'll save us from having to look everywhere, right?" Cynthia knew she won when Bec rolled her eyes and shrugged her shoulders.

"If finding this crown runs us into more Blood Taken, then I'm good."

They made their way across the room towards the passageway Cynthia had pointed to. It seemed to lead further underground until it stopped at what looked like a dead end.

"This is what I get for listening to your feeling," Bec sighed in exasperation. Cynthia shook her head.

"No, I swear to you, I felt something. Just give me a second." Cynthia could feel the magic energy dancing on her skin. She closed her eyes and concentrated, trying to remember her old teachings about channeling arcane energy to the eyes. When she opened them again the room had a faint pink hue, but the runes written on the wall were clear. It took her a moment to rack her brain for what they meant until she realized the obvious. Well duh, the House of Silverlyn She tapped the runes in the correct order, and the wall moved aside to reveal another passageway.

"You know, you creep me out sometimes," Bec said as she pushed past Cynthia into the tunnel.

It definitely hadn't been well traveled, but, then again, neither had this whole castle in centuries. Descending in the tunnel, Cynthia noticed a dim, greenish glow. When they came out into a small room she looked for the source. Her breath caught as she saw a pedestal at the other side of the room. I can't believe it. It actually exists. She gingerly picked up the crown and examined it. It resembled a flower crown except with Lifestone gems as flowers and delicate gold for leaves. The dim green glow was coming from the Lifestone.

"Bec. I am holding a historical artifact thought to have been lost for centuries, this is amaz--" A startled yelp made Cynthia turn around. A Blood Taken dropped to the floor as Bec ripped her dagger from his throat. Cynthia took a step forward when Bec coughed and dropped to a knee with a hand on her side. Rushing to her aid, she noticed Bec's dagger wasn't the only one that was bloody.

"Shit. We need to get you out of here," Cynthia said as she helped Bec up. Bec was too short to reach up to Cynthia's shoulder, so she held onto her waist instead. Cynthia realized she was still holding the crown and placed it in the bag at her hip. She hoped it wouldn't be broken on their way out, but her first concern was Bec. The tunnel felt longer than she remembered as she carried Bec back the way they came.

When they made it halfway through the ballroom, Cynthia thought they might actually get out of here unbothered until an arrow sliced her cheek as it went by. She looked up and saw the archer shouting for reinforcements and Blood Taken flooded in from passageways she hadn't even noticed before. This is just my luck, now they decide to all show up. Sorry, Bec.

Dropping Bec on the ground, Cynthia fell to her knees and starting quickly muttering in the arcane tongue she'd been taught from childhood. The archers loosed their arrows, but they were all swallowed by the flame barrier now surrounding her and Bec. Closing her eyes, Cynthia felt the surprised auras through the heat. She moved the fire with her will and, with a flick of her fingers, sent a bolt of devouring flame into the body of every Blood Taken she sensed. When she opened her eyes all she saw were the burnt husks of where men had been.

"And that's why I bring you along for these," Bec chuckled through a grimace as Cynthia helped her up. "You didn't have to drop me, though, that hurt." Cynthia smiled, but their victorious moment was cut short when the castle rumbled. Bec sighed painfully. "Seems like you went a bit overboard, though."

"That I did." Cynthia scooped up Bec in her arms and ran towards the tunnel opening as the castle fell around her. She was lucky Bec was so petite since she had little energy left after that spell. Once she passed through, she caught her breath and watched as the path sealed. Her heart hurt at the loss of Silverlyn Castle, but at least she had the etheric crown.

The sun was just beginning to rise as Cynthia laid Bec down to look at the wound. When she peeled back the layers, she saw it was deep and shook her head.

"You know I'm not good at healing and you go and get yourself stabbed," Cynthia said as she started wrapping arcane bandages around Bec's waist.

"Will I live, Doctor?" Bec asked through a toothy smile.

"Yeah, yeah you will," Cynthia laughed as she helped Bec up. They linked arms as Cynthia helped her walk down the path towards the cobblestone road.

"Can I wear it?" Bec asked.

"Seriously? You wanna wear the crown right now?"

"Hell yeah. I just got stabbed for it, so let me wear it at least for a little bit." Cynthia took it out of her bag and placed it on Bec's head. It fit oddly between her ears, as it wasn't meant for a Felinx, but it still fit. The gold and light green complimented her dark brown fur well. Bec smiled before she hopped onto Cynthia's back. "Alright trusty steed, take me into town to get me healed up."

Cynthia laughed and felt her companion immediately start to fall asleep. She looked into the rising sun and smiled to herself.

Just another day with this lunatic.

Word Count-2,785



© Copyright 2016 FuryStrife (furystrife at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2102115-Just-Another-Day-C-and-B-series-1