*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2103151-Say-What
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2103151
Flash Fiction
Say what?

Jayden sat smiling in his high chair. He was such a happy child sometimes Lisa could watch him play for hours, today, however, she had her mother-in-law on her mind.

Mona visited often and inevitably during the visit had comments on Lisa’s mothering. “Isn’t that too small, he could choke.” (something even Lisa couldn’t fit into her mouth.) “Are you sure he should be looking at that tablet? Isn’t too much time bad for a child?” (he was looking at the alphabet and Lisa was holding the tablet.) But the worst, “Shouldn’t he be talking by now?

Lisa had read reams about talking and she, and Phillip, felt he was fine, not early, but not particularly late, and even then, many great people had been late talkers. However, Phillip had been an only child, and an early talker, so Mona assumed Jayden would be a carbon copy of his father.

Lisa tried everything. Not because she was in any rush, she was happy to wait till he was ready, she just didn’t want to listen to Mona anymore. This morning it was picture cards. She held up a card of a kitten: “Kitten” she said, can you say kitten? Jayden looked at the card. Next “Spoon” can you say spoon Jayden? Jayden giggled. “Pillow” this is a pillow, honey. Say pillow!” Jayden said nothing, just smiled his beautiful smile at his mother.

Lisa sighed. Why did she care? Why did she put him through this? She gathered up the cards, looking at Jayden, her perfect child. ‘No more!’ she vowed, ‘he will talk when he talks!’ Jayden picked up a piece of cereal and tossed it at her.

“You little monkey!” Lisa laughed.

Jayden looked at her, furrowing his brow, “Actually, Mum,” he said, “I think I’m a boy…”
© Copyright 2016 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2103151-Say-What