*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2103412-Ruthless
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2103412
Flash Fiction
Ruthless

Cindy snuggled in her favorite chair, book in hand, and her favorite cookies within reach. This was her time, she deserved it. She had been so busy all day straightening out the idiots at the new plant, she’d missed lunch and barely made dinner. It was worth it though.

Getting everyone in line for The Company was never easy. Nobody wanted to change anything, nobody wanted anyone to be let go. That’s why they hired her, she didn’t make the plan, she just implemented it, and she was good. Unbeknownst to anyone but herself, she loved it. She loved the power, she loved the groveling the newbies did, the tip-toeing around waiting for her to let them know the score. Cindy was basically mean, and ruthless.

There was a noise, she jumped! Too much coffee, she thought to herself, as she looked out the window behind her. It was windy, she’d planned to trim that tree last week, but never got around to it. That was when she was working at Billows, that was fun. She particularly liked it when the manager, Joe Daley, practically begged her not to fire him because his wife was expecting and they had to put his mother in a rest home. Pffft, his problem! He’ll get severance, unemployment, if he can’t find another job it was because he isn’t any good! Not the company’s problem, not hers! Anyway that tree branch didn’t get trimmed, she’d do it tomorrow. Or, maybe, have the whole stupid tree cut down!

Brushing off the thoughts, she turned back to her book, biting into a cookie, just as Joe Daley’s fingers came around the chair and curled around her neck.

The official cause of death, choking on a cookie. (The coroner, unfortunately for Cindy, was Joe Daley’s uncle.)
© Copyright 2016 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2103412-Ruthless