*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2103624-The-Debt
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2103624
Short story written for the Writer's Cramp, Nov 25, 2016
The Debt




         Amanda looked at the clock.

         Six more hours.

         Little more than halfway through her double shift at the diner. She silently cursed the Black Friday sale, and the new credit card, that led to her working three extra shifts a week to pay-off the debt she'd racked up. The entire experience led her to swear she'd never spend money that recklessly again. It had been a nice Christmas, though. Her first at home since moving to the city. She just wanted to show everyone how great her new life was, and the looks on their faces when they opened the gifts were just priceless. Well, maybe not priceless. Her tired feet were a constant reminder of the actual price. Bobby sure loved that video game, though. She sighed a determined breath, then grabbed two plates and whisked them away to a waiting table, as gracefully as her exhausted legs would allow.

         The credit card had arrived in the mail only a few days before she left the city for the holiday. She'd planned to simply spend the day with family and friends, without getting too caught up in gifts. Then the credit card arrived in the mail. Her first instinct was to cut it up, but that damned commercial kept playing in her head. The smiling kids, happy parents, waving neighbors, with a very, merry jingle in the background. When she finally shook the image out of her head, she was leaving the department store with two armloads of gifts, humming that stupid reindeer song.

         Ding!

         “Order up!” A voice called from the kitchen window.

         Instinctively, she collected the plates, checked the ticket, and delivered the meals, without little thought to the action at all. An action she'd be doing quite a lot more of in the future. Somewhere, in the back of her mind, she knew the bill was coming, all $2500 worth of it, and she knew the despair it would bring with it. Living in the city is expensive, and she was already working two jobs. It was fortunate the diner is always short-handed, so getting the extra shifts was no problem. Still, waitresses don't make much, even with tips. She knew there was little hope of staying ahead of the interest rates the credit card company would charge, but she had to try. Eventually, she'd think of a way to pay off the bill.

         The diner slowed as the hours ticked away, and the dinner rush passed, leaving her grateful for the chance to sit down for a few moments. Her hand moved to her pocket and removed the smartphone, which immediately commanded her attention as she dropped, heavily into a chair. A few clicks and swipes and she was looking at her email.

         Her exhaustion subsided as she read, then re-read the first email in the list. The email from her bank. The email that explained her account had been credited $1800. She'd forgotten about the tax refund. She'd filed her taxes early and taken a direct deposit refund, and it was here! Much earlier than she'd expected! Not enough to pay off the debt, but certainly some breathing room! This was marvelous! She couldn't believe the luck! Such a feeling of elation! Of joy! Why she felt like, like...SHOPPING!

*****
550 words




© Copyright 2016 Brick Chicken (inklingx at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2103624-The-Debt