*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2103819-Ruffled-Feathers
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2103819
For the Dialogue 500 contest.
“Patricia! It's been ages! How are you?”

“Fancy running into you here, Carol! Love the coat!”

“Thanks! I will say it's a nice, thick one. How's Tom?”

“Oh, same as always. Busy time of year for us.”

“I hear that. The kids must be getting big by now.”

“Oh, they're at that age. We're looking forward to an empty nest soon.”

“Don't I know it! My days as a den mother are about over.”

“And Glenn is good?”

“This time of year, the craft store is so busy.”

“With the holidays, I can see that. All those hipsters 'discovering' arts and crafts.”

“Whatever you do, don't ever ask Glenn about the wholesale price of Mason jars!”

“Good one! Well, good to see you.”

“Hold on, Patricia. You aren't getting out so easily. I spoke with Daisy the other day.”

“Daisy?”

“Now don't go all coy on me. You know she's laid up with bad leg, and Warren is running himself ragged.”

“I know, I know. But I can't take over hosting Thanksgiving from them.”

“Why not? Look, we've been friends a long time. And we've shared a lot of holidays together in our families. Daisy and Warren can't do Thanksgiving this year. I'm doing Christmas Eve Brunch, and the Elkhorns are hosting New Year's. Can't you do do Thanksgiving this once?”

“Carol, I don't know...”

“It's always a potluck, so it's not a lot of prep.”

“It's not the work. Can't you see that?”

“Then what?”

“Seriously, Carol. Look at me and say that this is appropriate.”

“Now don't get your feathers all in an uproar. It's one holiday.”

“Carol! Do I have to spell it out. I am a turkey! Turkeys do not host Thanksgiving!”

“Why not?”

“Why not! It's like asking Daisy and Warren to host Easter.”

“And they can't host Easter because?”

“Have you honestly never noticed they're rabbits?”

“Well, yes, of course they're rabbits. And why does that mean they can't host Easter?”

“Carol, for a fox, you're awfully slow.”

“There's no need to be rude.”

“Carol, I'm sorry. It's just that asking us to host a holiday centered around the eating of our domesticated cousins is a bit, well, awkward.”

“Gosh, I guess I didn't think of that because we've never had a turkey for Thanksgiving. We've always made sure the herbivores could eat everything.”

“And that is wonderful, but Thanksgiving is not a holiday we observe, unless it's in hiding.”

“What if we changed it?”

“What do you mean?”

“What if it was just a friendly get-together with no overtones of pilgrims or stuffing?”

“No cranberry sauce.”

“You have my word.”

“And you have to make gingerbread men.”

“Now who's being insensitive?”

“See you Thursday!”

word count: 451
© Copyright 2016 Ruth Draves (ruthdraves at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2103819-Ruffled-Feathers