*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2103970-Jackson
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Animal · #2103970
A story about man's best friend.
I sit watching the sun set across the field. My iced tea is mostly gone, but Jackson Two is still by my side. Aside from his loyalty, however, he is a far cry from his father, who we just called Jackson. Jackson Two is all energy and no sense. If I think back on it, Jackson was about the same age as Jackson Two is now when we first got him. That was a much harder time, before the Proclamation. We found Jackson on the side of the road while bringing the new crop in. He was in rough shape, but we kept him alright.

Now it wasn't easy. I was only about seventeen at the time, and the family didn't have much. It was hard to just find food for him. Mr. Davis was most certainly not going to provide anything for him. It took a long time before Jackson could even be in sight of him without running the risk of a beating. Jackson was a sweet dog though, not a mean bone in his body, and eventually Mr. Davis came around.

That brings me to the story of how Jackson saved my family. Pa eventually decided he had enough of Mr. Davis, and Ma, Callie, and I agreed. It was time to leave. Pa knew a man who could get us up as far as Indianapolis, we just had to get away from Mr. Davis and meet the man in the thicket about a half mile west. Pa told him tonight. We packed up as much as we could without looking suspicious. Mr. Davis was a keen man though, and he knew something was up. We got almost all the way to the thicket when we heard him start holler'n after us. Ma picked up Callie and we ran as fast as we could. We got into the thicket and we were look'n everywhere for that man but we couldn't find him. We could hear now that Mr. Davis got his gun and he was gett'n closer and closer. Then we heard Jackson barking a little bit away. Somehow he had found the railroad man and his buggy. Well, we got on as quick as we could and the man whipped the horse and off we went, Dr. Davis still shout'n and shoot'n behind us. Of course they put the search out for us in the morning but we were far gone by then.

Yeah, Jackson was a good dog. The sun is well down now and it's high time I get inside.
© Copyright 2016 Gedankenexperiment (msoft4 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2103970-Jackson