*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2104436-The-Snowball-War
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2104436
Our intrepid hero joins in a snowball fight.
Another crash came from the court formed by the four buildings in my apartment complex. You'd have thought that the heavy snow would have kept people inside. But, no...

A small crowd was having a snowball fight. I don't mean they were few in number. I mean they all looked short, even tiny.

They were using tops from garbage pails as shields. The racket came when the snowballs hit them.

"Stop that noise!" I hollered out the window.

"Why are you complaining," a little blond responded from below my window. "That movie you're watching isn't any good, and our army could use a strong man like yourself."

OK, so I'm a sucker for a come-on from a cute blond. Plus, she was right; the movie was a stinker.

I should have paid attention to the term "army," and to how she knew I was watching a loser.

Exiting from my building into the court, I saw that the two sides had snowballs stockpiled. So I jumped right in, firing at targets on the other side.

I had a decent pitching arm in school, but still wasn't keeping up with the little ones on my side. Even after I got in a few good hits, I realized we were outnumbered as the troops from the other side edged closer.

"Doesn't look good," I laughed to the little blond who'd called me down.

"Unless you want to get buried in snow, you better pick up the pace," she replied.

"Buried?" pausing to ask the question, and getting hit in the face for my trouble.

"I mean BURIED," she snapped, "as in under an avalanche!"

"Hey, I'm not one of you pixies. I'm out of here."

"Pixies? Pixies play. We fairies fight with magic! How do you think we got all this snow?"

© Copyright 2016 Sailor M (sailor40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2104436-The-Snowball-War