*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2104925-She-kept-walking
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Adult · #2104925
The short story of a young woman
She kept walking. She knew from this point onward she'd be different. Now she was an adult. She coughed and saw her breath. Cold. She looked around and kept walking. She wondered when she'd stop. She kept walking. She took in the lights around her and the shadow she cast and chose to dwell in it. Her eyes locked with that of the cold, unforgiving ground. She kept walking. Her clothes became incredibly uncomfortable. She kept walking. Another alleyway. She had no fear and continued completely unabashed with the confidence of a fool and held her own wisdom as false and null. She kept walking. A cat. She picked up a nearby can and pitifully tossed it towards it. She meet the cat's steeled eyes. Eyes that seemed to have seen more than any person could hope or want. The can dropped and dinged the pavement. She now walked a bit more briskly to make up for her brief lost time. She heard the mew of the cat which seemed to even overtake the traffic. She kept walking. She felt something. Like rain. Blood, she realized. She kept walking. The stars were out. Beautiful and vibrant. The sky seemed a picture. She couldn't bring herself to see this heavenly display and continued to look down as if trying to look farther. She kept walking. A bristly, unkempt man approached her. He muttered something to her. She dropped her purse and ran. It was not long before she realized she could not continue to run. She kept walking. She passed a store. Saw her reflection. She kept walking. In her attempt to look down she noticed she had no shoes. She kept walking. Grass. She looked up and saw the park. It seemed pristine to her and saw a bench but at second glance there was litter everywhere. One could hardly tell it from a landfill. She kept walking. Rain, again? Tears. She could no longer see clearly. Her gaze clouded by her woe. She kept walking. A duck began to follow her. It kept walking as she did. She had found a companion. It quacked. She kept walking. Fast enough to lose it this time and kept her pace. She felt something like rain. At this she broke down. Slowed to a crawl. Began to weep. She approached a bridge. She stopped. The river beat on. Always flowing, never still. Her feet were sore. She climbed on the rail of the bridge. She looked straight down. "Excuse me miss! You dropped this!" It was her purse. She looked again at the old man. He had a beard. His eyes were warm. Hers' met his. She kept walking.
© Copyright 2016 Chardude (chardude at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2104925-She-kept-walking