*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2105589-A-Devil-of-a-Muse
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2105589
When the voices in your head don't give up.
Mark isn’t a bad writer but, you can’t really say he is a good one either. The problem is, he hasn’t been discovered yet. Somehow he has gotten it into his head that publishers should be seeking him out rather than the other way around. Thus, we find ourselves listening into a dialogue between Mark and the devil in his head.

“I told you to check the prompts early, every day.”

Mark just nodded his head and mumbled, “I know. I know.” Then he continued, “I was busy today, I didn’t have time to log on.”

The devil whispered back, “That’s ridiculous. You have a smartphone don’t you? You could get the prompt and brainstorm it until you get home.”

“You know it’s not as easy as that. I can’t be that distracted at work. I’ve a job to do. I can’t eat a story you know.”

“You could eat from the proceeds if you sold a story or two.”

Mark nodded his head again and thought, “The devil got that one right.”

“So what is the prompt for today”, asked the devil?

“The prompt is “A Contest””, responded Mark.

“Seriously, a contest about a contest, it doesn’t sound like much to go on.”

“I don’t write the prompts, I just use what they give me.”

“Sounds to me like you should give up these contests and get back to that book you’ve been noodling.”

“I will get back to it.”

“Listen Mark, we’ve had this discussion before. A story in your head is only a story between you and me. I’m the only one who can read your mind. If it is not down on paper for everyone to read then it is not a story. It’s time to give these contests up and do some real work.”

A flash of anger rose in Mark, “These contests give me some inspiration. It allows me to practice the craft and polish the finer points of writing. I have won a couple of these contests you know.”

“Yes, Yes I do. Otherwise we wouldn’t be having this discussion. When you sold your soul to me for achievement, you didn’t think I would just fade away did you?”
© Copyright 2016 Spectre Lives (glenncard at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2105589-A-Devil-of-a-Muse