*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2105628-Welcome-To-The-Inn
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2105628
Larry is lost.
Larry was lost. No sign of life for the past hour, and the road was narrowing.

The gas gage in his blue Honda was nearing empty.

"Ah, still got the old luck," he thought as a small village appeared nestled into the dark forest. "Scenic," was how he described it to himself, as the church on the village green tolled three o'clock, "really needs a coat of paint, and a lawn mower though. "

True of most of the village, wearing down.

Not the country inn on the far side of the green. "Now, if my luck holds for an available room."

"My name is Walter," the front desk clerk introduced himself after sizing Larry up. "Of course, we have a room for you sir."

"Do you have a brown suit for dinner tonight?" Walter asked.

An odd question which gave Larry pause. "No brown, but a respectable gray," he responded.

"That will do nicely," Walter said. "John, our day porter will help you to your room."

John wasn't the usual day porter. No jovial touch; sidelong glances; hungry looking.

"Dinner at seven," John announced.

The room was OK, if a little dark. Larry noticed that the church failed to chime at four, and again at five. It was disappointing somehow.

Larry was laying out his gray suit, when a knock came at the door. Dinner prep.

Guests arriving for the evening showed Walter the text message they'd received: "One of our 'SPECIAL' meals this evening. Invited guests only."

The main course was served from a silver tray. A gray covering keeping the meat moist, was removed to unveil its juiciness.

The next morning, John was called to the front desk by Walter.

"Please have the blue Honda towed from the parking lot." Walter directed. "The owner sadly passed away."

© Copyright 2016 Sailor M (sailor40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2105628-Welcome-To-The-Inn