*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2106306-The-Cabin
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2106306
Three Minute Read
The Cabin

“Did you find anything?” little Jeannie asked her father.

“No,” he said, “just the same, I seem to be going fine, then somehow end up back here, no snow this time though.”

“But, tell us again,” his wife Myrna asked, “you follow the path, does it turn? Do you take different forks or anything?”

“No, I swear! One minute I’m just going straight, I can see the mountain ahead through the trees, then suddenly I go by a taller tree or something and I’m back here! I don’t know what I do.”

“Well, surely somebody’s looking for us by now. We’ve missed our reservation. I’m sure my sister’s been calling. There’s still no reception here, but she’ll call the resort and get things going when she hears we never arrived. Maybe you shouldn’t go off again, we could lose you! I wonder who’s cabin this is?”

“Dunno. I wouldn’t want it! This is a crazy place, weather wise. Maybe the mountain? When those snow bursts whip up… it’s like a mini blizzard, cold, and that white tornado thing and then complete calm again! Too weird. Can you imagine living here?”

“Have you seen our car at all?”

“No, but when they clear the roads they’ll find it, and our note, they’ll be looking for us. The cabin has plenty of food and water, and firewood. We could be stranded here for months and never run out, really. It wasn’t the vacation we wanted, but it’s a really nice cabin.

“Well, I made some lunch, let’s go in, the snow seems to be whipping up again!” The little family hurried inside.”

Sandra stood at the Christmas Fair table looking at an item. “I bet Dad will like this, he loves cabins in the mountains!” she said, shaking the snow globe harder.
© Copyright 2016 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2106306-The-Cabin