*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2108524-One-to-Australia
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Crime/Gangster · #2108524
I'm actually pretty proud to be the author of this piece.
(Warning: contains brief language, smoking, and drinking. Neither of these elements are elaborated on too much in the short story.)

Enjoy!


"On a scale of one to Australia, how dangerous are we talking?"

"This mission is pretty dangerous. No one else wants it. I've come to a conclusion. You'll be the one to take it." Boss was demanding this evening, and I couldn't help but wonder what had him all worked up.

"What if we don't want it?" I asked, glancing at my partner, Ruben, then looking back at the boss.

"What if you don't want it?" he asked, snapping his fingers. One of his goons came up behind him, handed him a gun. Boss looked at the man like he'd just slapped him in the face. "I want a drink, you moron. I don't want a damn gun. Get three beers from the fridge. Two for our guests, one for me."

The goon nodded his head and hurriedly went to get those drinks.

"Now, back to what if-" Boss cut himself off, putting his cigarette in his mouth and taking a long drag. "What if you don't want the job?" He still held the gun in his hand. He lifted it up and pointed it at me carelessly. "What do you think is going to happen when you don't take the job, and when you don't get it done?"

"Whoa, whoa, there boss." I held my hands up in defense. "There ain't no need to lose your temper. I didn't say I wasn't going to take the job. I'll take it, regardless."

"Good." A smirk slid onto his face. "That's good, Alejandro."

"Well, what's the job then, boss?" Ruben asked.

"You'd like to know?" He teased us, kept us waiting, making us want to know what he had planned for us.

"Yeah, yeah, we want to know." Ruben didn't usually talk during these meetings, but it was obvious that he was getting impatient.

"You're gonna-" He started to tell us finally, but the man came back with those beers that the boss asked for. He handed one to the three of us. "Thank you, Bob."

"You're welcome, boss." Bob went back to his spot in the corner, standing an exaggerated fifty feet tall and staring blankly at the wall in front of him.

"Tell us, boss man. What you got planned for us?" Ruben was really, really getting impatient, as was I. The boss was never one to hold back. He always got straight to the point.

"Alright." He leaned in closer to us, motioning for us to do the same, and we did. "You're gonna-" He looked around, making sure that none of his goons could hear him. "You're gonna babysit my son. Anniversary's tomorrow, can't risk forgetting another one."

The look on Ruben's face was priceless, but I wasn't laughing because I was sure that my face mirrored his. Boss was trembling with hysterical laughter. He thought it was just down right funny, the way he'd made us think.

"You should see your faces." He said. After a while boss stopped laughing and sat up straight. "No, really though. He's a monster, terrible. You'll have to keep an eye on him at all times. Don't leave him alone for a second."

I sighed and slumped down in my seat. "Sure, boss."

"To Australia." He smirked. "And beyond."




Words: 539
© Copyright 2017 TheWalkerInMe (xamaranthenex at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2108524-One-to-Australia