*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2108655-Coming-Home
by Mary
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2108655
"You come back from a week-long trip to find your door wide open and..."
The engine quieted down as I slowly pulled into my driveway. I stopped the car and got out, fiddling around with my keys until I found the house key.

"Man, is it good to be home," I sighed.

I wheeled my blue suitcase behind me and walked around the corner to the front door, until something stopped me in my tracks. A black cat bolted in front of me, across the unkempt lawn, and to the house across the street. That shouldn't have come from inside my house; it probably came from the back. I peek around the corner cautiously to see my front door wide open.

"Oh God, no," I whispered, dropping my suitcase at my feet and running back to my car. I quickly pulled my phone from my pocket and dialed 911.

"911, what's your emergency?"

"Uh, I just got back from a week-long trip and m-my front door was wide open. I, uh,"

"Ma'am, did you see anyone inside?"

"No, I didn't want to look. P-please send someone over, I don't want to go in there,"

"Okay, stay calm. Please give me your address and I will send a policeman over to your location shortly,"

I told her my address and hung up. I didn't realize how bad I was shaking until I had to try and push the 'end call' button seven times. I couldn't keep my phone still.

A few minutes later, the police car finally shows up. He doesn't even come to the car - he gets out of his car and heads straight for my opened door. All I can hear is my breathing as I anxiously wait for his return, hopefully with the robber in handcuffs. To my surprise, he comes out not even a minute later and he's laughing uncontrollably. I open the door and meet him on the path leading up to my door.

"What was in there?" I questioned.

"Ma'am, I would advise you to take a look for yourself. Hopefully you don't have any animal allergies," He laughs and steps out of my way so I can move up to the door.

"You're kidding." I remember the black cat that crossed my path the first time I walked to the door. I groan and go through my front door, seeing dogs and cats of all breeds scattered around my house. I see more down the hallway and in the kitchen. When I walk in, I'm greeted by a big golden retriever.

Instead of getting angry, I laugh. Who doesn't want cats and dogs as a coming-home present?
© Copyright 2017 Mary (marysnookie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2108655-Coming-Home