*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2109432-Dear-Me-2017
Rated: 13+ · Letter/Memo · How-To/Advice · #2109432
It is time to show you what I'm made of!
Dear Me,

It's not every day a person writes to themselves, but seeing how I haven't heard from you in two years, I thought I'd surprise you and send you a letter instead. Last year, around this time, I ended up judging this contest and I have a feeling it's the reason why I never received any mail from you. To be honest, judging this particular contest did not qualify as fun. Nope. Not at all. I feel bad for the judges this year, since I know what they'll have to deal with. That's a story for another time. Let's focus on you right now.

I want to congratulate you on your past year's accomplishments. Judging, running contests, activities, and that dreaded "Game of Thrones. It never ceases to amaze me how many people are willing to put themselves through a month of pure reviewing and writing exhaustion, even if it is for a good cause. Then again, you're worst of them all. You run it!

It still doesn't sum up your success of what you've done. Various poems which have even won an award here and there! I'm amazed. For a time, you felt that you outgrew writing prose. The need to tell stories has had a strong pull on your heart, yet there you were, scribbling poems, dug up from the darkest depths of your soul. You should be proud of yourself for that.

As October sneaked up on you, you completed the OctoPrep and, to my surprise, wrote the first draft of your novel. If you ever think you haven't accomplished much, I hope you look back and realize that you've managed just the opposite, without even knowing. Writer's block who walks hand in hand with procrastination, have been pushed aside a few times, and you've used that time wisely.

The new year stumbled in and the rocky roads are showing themselves to you. You must find the strength and the willpower to continue down the right path. Don't let yourself be persuaded to get off track to enjoy the scenery. Do what must be done! Only then can you treat yourself to a picnic in a nice valley with a decent slice of chocolate cake, or two. You do have that sweet tooth!

First things first. In order to get some serious writing done, you'll need inspiration, a somewhat set schedule, and to stop procrastinating on those days where you could have written a poem or a story at least. Here is what I feel you should do:

*Bullet* Your main priority is to complete a full novel edit of your first draft. It may take you six months to make it presentable at least, but I'd rather you don't rush things.

*Bullet* Enter at least one contest each month! You've proven that you enjoy it, not to mention, you're not a shabby writer. Improve your writing skills by sharing more of yourself. Even if you scrape the words in the darkest corners of your secretive soul. No pain, no gain.

*Bullet* Review! Then review some more. You're the one who always tells others that in order to improve their writing, they have to spend time reading and reviewing other people's work. Follow your own advice. I know you get lazy, but one review per week, okay, month, won't hinder your future plans.

*Bullet* Make time for yourself. No one likes a mean lady, and with the hours you work, who could blame you for being a grouch sometimes. However, do something fun to relax. Play PS4 for all I care, as long as you relax. You need it!

*Bullet* OctoPrep and NaNoWriMo are and should be part of your yearly routine. You didn't have a clue as to the story you wanted to write, but look where you are now. It's only a scary thought because you overthink and over-analyze things. Find a quiet but happy place and let your imagination run free. You've seen the results of such behavior this past October and November. Don't let anything or anyone stop you. Make it happen.

If you manage to accomplish anything in between, more power to you. You can do this. I know you can, because I've been there and listened to your advice. Look where it got me and how much I've accomplished. Do the same. We may just both be pleasantly surprised.

Until next year, my dear.

Yours truly,
Me



Entered in "Dear Me: Official WDC Contest January, 2017
WC ~ 730


© Copyright 2017 Gaby ~ Keeper Of The Realm (geja8856 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2109432-Dear-Me-2017