*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2110967-Moms-Birthday
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2110967
Three Minute Read
Mom’s Birthday

“You’re a jack… donkey.” Tim petered out at the end of his rant at his brother, realizing they were in a store and there were kids nearby. “Do you think a gift card to a gas station would make her happy?”

“Well, yeah. Isn’t she always asking us to go gas up her car?”

“That’s not because she doesn’t want to pay for it you idiot, it’s because she doesn’t want to pump the gas.”

“Oh yeah, I forgot.”

“We have to think of a birthday present that will make her happy. Flowers are out, she always says it makes her sad when they die. We can’t afford the kind of jewelry she would actually wear out in public…”

“Remember when we made her those macaroni necklaces? She loved them.”

“We were six, we’re not six anymore.”

“So, do you have any ideas?” Teddy asked, picking up a rock with a jewel glued to the top.

“No,” Tim said, taking the rock from Teddy and setting it back on the counter, “keep looking.”

As the twins turned a corner they found themselves behind a mother and her young son, holding hands as they shopped. It was obviously Mom was holding his hand to keep him in control since his other hand shot out every other step trying to grab things. The boys both smiled, remembering those days with their mother, only she had two boys to control.”

Ted smiled, “I know exactly what would make Mom happy, and we don’t have to pick out a thing.”

On her birthday the twins surprised Mom with a trip to the mall, with them, to buy anything she wanted (in their price range…) and they each held her hand as they walked along perusing the stores, and not touching anything. Mom loved it.
© Copyright 2017 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2110967-Moms-Birthday