*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2110979-Valentines-Day
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Relationship · #2110979
Clair is waiting for the love of her life to return... after he told her he wouldn't.
I wait in my bedroom, alone.
He said he wouldn't be back. He told me he wouldn't survive.
I bite my lip, remembering.
They told me he was probably right. That even if he survived, he wouldn't be able to come back to me.
I swing my legs against the edge of my bed as gray morning light fills the room.
I begged to go with him, to help him, to fight at his side. He said no, I'd only get killed too. And this is something he has to do himself.
My bedroom door creaks slowly open and Pat, my best friend and Tony Stark's daughter, enters.
"I'll wait with you," she whispers. I say nothing, only take her hand and squeeze briefly.
I told him I'd wait for him, no matter how long it took. He gave me one long, sad look and was gone.
Pat and I wait together, still holding hands, as the sun rises and a new day begins.
It's not long before Cap joins us. He doesn't say anything, just sits next to me on the bed and puts his arm around my shoulders. I lean into him, still holding Pat's hand, and wait.
A few minutes later, Dad and Tony come in.
"Clair. You need to eat something," Dad says gently. I shake my head. Tony starts to insist, but Pat stops him with a glance. Dad sighs and sits down, followed by Tony.
Natasha looks in, sees us all sitting there, and sits cross-legged behind me on my bed, offering me support to lean back on.
Bruce is next, closely followed by Peter and Isabella. Thor joins us eventually, having been sent by Heimdall. They all crowd onto my bed in silent support.
Waiting.
Soon half of my bedroom is filled with people, superheroes and SHIELD agents, all friends or family, all supporting me. Only the half of my bedroom in front of me is empty, and I fix my eyes straight ahead and sit motionless as I have since he left.
Waiting.
Nobody speaks. The silence isn't just in the room, it's in my mind. My numb brain tries to process everything but the whirling thoughts refuse to click. All I know is that he has to come back. He has to. I squeeze Pat's hand tighter and stare straight ahead.
Waiting.
A tear slides down my cheek. It's been a whole day. I haven't eaten. I wonder where he is now. Maybe he's coming.
Maybe he's dead.
I refuse to let myself think that. I refuse to believe it. I refuse to cry or move or think. I refuse to do anything but wish for him to come back to me.
I'm wishing so hard, I begin to see him before my very eyes.
Wait.
Cap is the first to react. He stiffens suddenly, and turns to look at me.
My numb brain slowly begins to realize...
He's there.
Will came back.
They're watching, but I don't care. I leap to my feet, my legs almost buckling under me from stiffness. I launch myself into his arms, sobbing into his shoulder, hugging him as hard as I can.
"You came back. You said you wouldn't be back and you came. You're here. You came back," I cry into his shirt while everyone looks on.
"I know. I'm here. I came back to you," he whispers, stroking my hair, trying to calm me.
Eventually I'm calmer, but I still hug him, cling to him, refusing to let go. He gently presses something into my hand and I step back just an inch to look at it. It's a beautiful silver ring, with small emeralds and a larger ruby set into it.
Will takes my hands and looks me in the eye.
"I'm here. And... I want to be here for you.... forever."
He takes a knee, still holding my hand.
"Clair, will you marry me?"
A smile splits my face in half as more tears spill down my cheek.
"Duh!" I hug him again, even tighter.
Behind us, Dad shakes his head as everyone else either hugs each other or smiles broadly, some crying silently, some almost jumping for joy.
"I didn't sign up for this," Dad mutters.
But he's smiling, too.



© Copyright 2017 Katie-James Grace (clairfury at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2110979-Valentines-Day