*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2111443-The-Play
by Espero
Rated: E · Short Story · Arts · #2111443
Will he talk her into being in his play?
“I want you to be in the play with me, it will be fun.”

“Fun for you, perhaps, not for me, I have no desire to be an actor.”

“How do you know unless you try? That's all I'm asking, give it a try.”

“Look, I signed up to be a member of this book club. I did not sign up to put on a play based on the books. It's ridiculous, we're both in our 40's and are supposed to portray young lovers? It's laughable.”

“Laughable? I beg to differ, the book is acclaimed throughout the world.”

“I have no doubt that the book is acclaimed, my doubt lies in this insane idea of yours. Why not find two young actors to play the part. I'm sure the audience would be grateful, if there is one.”

“That's the exciting thing. We have organized a dinner theater and are selling tickets. The profits will support the book club so I would think you would be more than happy to do this.”

“You really are too much, aren't you? You find another nice young lady, an older lady, whomever you wish, to play the part next to you, and I will promote ticket sales to the max. God forbid that you have already billed me on a ticket.”

'No, no, I haven't, but you've put me in a bind now.”

“I've put you in a bind? How so?”

“First of all, we have no young members as of yet. Secondly, I sort of promised you'd do it.”

“How long have we been friends now? Let's see! Oh, forever. Today you are stretching that friendship. Do you realize that?

“What's the worst that could happen?”

“Umm, I make a laughingstock out of myself and can't show my face in the book club or anywhere else again?”

“Give me this at least. We sit down together, look at the skit, and practice. If you still hate it, then I'll see what I can do to get you out of it.”

“How can you get me out of something that I was never in? That's your problem, not mine. I already still hate it and besides, I've never looked at you as a lover.”

“That's where the acting comes in. I could see you as a lover, though.”

“That's it. One more word and I'm outta here.”

“Just kidding, jeez you're temperamental.”

“That's what older women are, temperamental.”

“Come on, old lady, let's cook up something for supper and then we can look at the skit.”

“Hah, if that's your form of flattery to get me to do something, you're wasting your time. Let's eat and get these dishes done and I'll look at that silly play of yours.”

“I wrote the skit you know.”

“Oh, you did. My bad, I'm sure it's a very lovely skit. Let me take a look.”

“Your wish is my command, Madam.”

“Alright, let's see. Small town high school seniors fall in love. Boy going to work for father in auto garage as mechanic, girl going to college. Girl's parents are worried that boyfriend will try to keep her from going to school, causes friction........... Hey wait a minute, why couldn't we play the parents instead?”

“Can't, roles are already taken.”

“By whom? Who's the director, let's see if he will change it.”

“Umm, that would be me, and no can do.”

“Well why not?”

“I sort of had to talk them into being the parents and they'll never go for the young couple, I've already been there.”

“I see, and that's when it popped into your head to get me involved, eh?”

“Who can you count on better than a best friend. What are you looking at anyway?”

“Funny, I never noticed those dimples of yours. All these years and I never noticed.”

“I've noticed your blue eyes and those freckles across your nose ever since we met.”

“How come you never got married?”

“Maybe I was waiting for you all this time. You didn't either.”

“No, never found anyone I could talk to like you; not even once.”

“I love you, I always wanted to tell you that but I was afraid I'd scare you away and I didn't want to lose our friendship.”

“I love you too. You know what? Right now I do feel like I'm sixteen again. Let's do that play. Who cares what anyone else thinks.”


773 Words
© Copyright 2017 Espero (espero at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2111443-The-Play