*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2112222-Taking-our-eyes-off-Jesus
Rated: 13+ · Editorial · Religious · #2112222
A sermonette
 
STATIC
Taking our eyes off Jesus  (13+)
A sermonette
#2112222 by Chris Breva


We all have trials and troubles in life. So how is it that some people can get through distressing situations totally unscathed? I can't and won't speak for everybody but I know what works for me. What works for me is not to take my eyes off Jesus. When I go to looking at the world instead of Jesus I get caught up in all the mess and soon I am part of it. The Apostle Peter gives us a good metaphor for what happens when we take our eyes off Jesus. We read "Between three and six o'clock in the morning Jesus came to the disciples walking on the water. When they saw Him walking on the water they were terrified. "It's a ghost," they said, and screamed with fear.

Jesus spoke to them at once and said "Courage!" he said, "It is I. Don't be afraid."

Then Peter spoke up "Lord, if it is really you, order me to come out on the water to you."

"Come!" answered Jesus. So Peter got out of the boat and started walking on the water to Jesus. But when he noticed the strong wind, he was afraid and started to sink down in the water. "Save me, Lord!" he cried.," Matthew 14: 26 - 30.

When we take our eyes off off Jesus we have to depend on ourselves. If we could do it Jesus wouldn't have suffered the horrible death He suffered. The Apostle Paul wrote "I have the strength to face all conditions by the power that Christ gives me," Philippians 4: 13.

Jesus gives us all that same power. All we have to do is keep our eyes on Him.
© Copyright 2017 Chris Breva (marvinschrebe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2112222-Taking-our-eyes-off-Jesus