*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2112729-Without
Rated: E · Other · Animal · #2112729
What happens when you lose it all?
What is a wolf without a pack?

Not the loner who has so confidently struck out on his own, braving odds just to survive, in the hopes of building a new pack.

This is the animal who had belonged, but slowly saw it's family leave. Where once there was many, but the ranks grew thin. Whose den is no longer warm and welcoming as it once was. No more excited greetings when returning home, no shoulders to rub against.

And the pack grew smaller, until only a few remained. And even they eventually left. Then there were only two; but a pack cannot be two wolves.

And eventually the last one leaves, padding away in the snow.

The den is cold and empty now. There is no protection from the elements as the wolf curls upon itself to stave off the chill. Another day, another empty stomach, because wolves don't hunt well alone. Nights are sleepless. The days long and silent.

The pack scents begin to fade, the last reminder that the wolf hadn't always been alone. And as he does every night, he howls into the empty dark, aiming his voice towards the stars. Always, always hoping for a reply. But as every time before, his cries go unanswered.

And eventually he grows weak.

And tired.

And stops howling.

And nothing can bring him to his feet again.

And so he tucks his nose against his feet one last time, remembering how this hollow, cold den had once been filled with warmth and the chattering of pups and family and playful scuffles.

Because what is a wolf without a pack?

Condemned.
© Copyright 2017 Shirley Quattrochi (waytoofar at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2112729-Without