*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2112911-Untitled-for-now
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Dark · #2112911
Thana has psychic abilities that seem to always turn deadly.
Title to be decided eventually

Part One

by: Bly Jette










"Sorry, I'll just be a minute. I can't believe I forgot my purse" she laughed lightly. "Oh, just try and stay quiet, the dogs will start barking and wake up the entire neighborhood."

"You... You have dogs?" he stammered. The room was almost completely dark but there was just enough light to illuminate his face.

"Of course, every girl needs a best friend." She smiled at him, Thana could see the panic starting to ripple through him.

"I don't mean to be rude or anything, I just have a fear of dogs... All dogs."

"Well, just be sure to stay quiet. I'll be right back." She disappeared into the dark hallway, leaving him standing in the kitchen door way.


The vision had put Thana into a trance almost and they were becoming more frequent. She tried to shake them, just because she had them didn't mean she had to act on them. The urge to do so though was also growing. Her mother always told her that she was cursed but she didn't want to believe her.

Her abilities or powers had came into play on her sixteenth birthday. At first it was innocent things, she would see people in her head then meet them a few days later. As she grew older, the powers increased. She would see herself doing horrid things to strangers, she tried to avoid them but some things were out of her control. Thana shook her head.

"Just because I see them doesn't mean I have to act on them." she told herself again. "I won't leave the house, I can't do anything if I don't leave." Her phone shrilled and she knew.

"Thana?"

"Hello mother." She spoke into the phone with gritted teeth.

"I need you to come over."

"Mom, I can't. I'm sorry."

"Why?" Claire growled into the phone, Thana remained quiet. "Did you have another vision?"

"Yes" she choked out.

"That's the second one this month... How did the last one turn out?"

"It ended in the basement..." her voice was low.

"I honestly can't believe you haven't been caught."

"Well, I can't believe that you're so ok with it."

"Thana... You're my daughter, I..."

"Spare me Claire... You use my powers to your advantage. That's the only reason you even call me. You don't give a shit about what I do, the visions I have, unless it involves you."

"You're right, I'm sorry cursed one."

Thana ended the call, slamming the phone on the table. Glancing out the window in her small kitchen she noticed a stranger standing across the street looking towards her house. Usually when she saw someone new she had some sort of idea who they were. Thana had learned to read people, mostly their body language. This random person though, she couldn't get a reading. He was intriguing to her. Mindlessly she walked to the door and stepped outside.

He was gone. No trace of him whatsoever. Thana hurriedly walked down the road a bit, nothing.

"Excuse me, miss?"

Thana's head swung around towards the voice, it was a different man. Her heart thudded against her chest when she realized it was the man from her vision. He had dark brown hair, brown eyes, slim build, he wasn't much taller than Thana.

"I was wondering if you could..."

"No!" she hollered at him. He took a small step back.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you. I'm Connor and I was wondering.."

"I said no. Just go away." she pleaded.

"Is this where you say 'I have a boyfriend' because some strange man tried to talk to you?" He chuckled a bit, involuntarily causing Thana to smile.

"No..." She took a deep breath, she told herself to move, to walk back in her house but she couldn't. Her blood felt like ice in her veins, it was cemented into place now. "Sorry, what did you need?"

"I've been driving around this neighborhood for about twenty minutes and I can not find the library..."

"That's because it's three blocks over."

"Oh, well.... Thank you...." he looked at her curiously.

"I'm Thana."

"Beautiful name, very fitting."

"Thanks, but I'm guessing you don't know what it means."

"You're right." He smiled. "Maybe you could tell me over dinner?"

"I..." Her brain screamed 'no' "would love to."

"Tomorrow evening then? I'll pick you up here."

Thana couldn't force herself to say anything, she could only nod. Once he got into his car, she ran into her house and locked the door. She began pacing through the living room.

"I just had to go outside! Fucking visions!" Stalking into the bathroom she saw herself in the mirror. Her light brown hair was short, narrow nose, thin lips and blue eyes. Her frame was a medium build, she certainly didn't look like she could cause anyone harm.

"Thana." Connor whispered from the kitchen, she stood in the living room trying to calm herself.

"Coming!" she yelled.

"Shh, the dogs!"

"I don't really have dogs." She smiled towards him as she reappeared.

"What? Then why would you say..."

"You should have kept walking yesterday Connor." Thana was standing in front of him now, her mouth inches from his.

"Why's that? Why did you lie about the dogs?"

"Shh" Thana pressed a slender finger against his lips, her other hand gripping a knife. "Just hold very still..." Her body leaning into his "and try not to scream."


It took Thana a few moments to regain herself, she was still standing into the bathroom. Without thinking she punched the mirror, shattering her reflection. Her knuckles were bleeding with shards of glass stuck in them, the blood oozed out of the skin. Logical Thana was gone now, she was hungry... and that hunger went by the name of Connor.


Part Two
"I don't know what to wear..." she mumbled to herself. "How do you plan on what to wear for something like this? And why the fuck am I talking to myself?" Thana pulled an old pair of jeans on and waited. Another hour before Connor would arrive, she was pacing again. There was a knock on the door, she tried to use her powers to see who it was but all she could see was black. Rubbing her hands on her pants she opened the door.

No one was there. She stepped outside, still she saw no one. Thana turned around, heading back into the house when a cold chill traveled down her spine. She glanced over her shoulder but she knew that there was nothing. She slammed and locked the door, smashing her sore knuckles into the door frame, ripping it back open. Thana was mesmerized by the crimson dripping onto her pale skin.

"Soon." she whispered.

Connor was right on time, dressed up in a suit. He planned on going to dinner she mused when she let him in the door. She smiled slyly at him.

"Are you ready?"

"Just about, let me close up the house and I'll be right out." Connor nodded and headed back out. She turned around and standing in her living room was the strange man from the yesterday, Thana let out a small shriek. "Who the hell are you and what are you doing in my house?"

The man stood there, staring into her eyes. His eyes were dark brown, almost black and his hair matched. He wore all black and stood at least six foot. Thana took a step toward him but stopped when he shook his head.

"How did you get in here?" Still, he said nothing. Connor honked the horn outside, Thana quickly looked back towards the noise. When she looked back the stranger was gone. "What the fuck..." she ran out of the house, her heart thudding.

"You ok? You look flushed."

"Yeah, of course." She flashed her best smile and climbed into the car. Connor started to pull away from the house. "Shit!"

"What?"

"I forgot my purse, I'm sorry... Can you go back?" The icy feeling was back, her fingers were tingling with the excitement of what was coming.

"Sure." he smiled at her. Connor drove around the block, stopping at a four-way stop. He edged out preparing to turn as another car drove through and hit the drivers side door. The car bowed, pinning Connor with a now smashed in door. He turned to look at Thana, spitting blood out of his mouth.

"No!" she screamed as Connor coughed and wheezed. "No! This is not how it's supposed to go!"

"So..rry..." he gasped out. "Wha...t does... Th..ana... mean?" She looked at him bewildered, he was going to die right here.

"Thana means death." His eyes went wide, he inhaled sharply before coughing again. Slowly she climbed out of the car, she had a few bumps and bruises but nothing major.

The car that plowed into them was jet black, she headed towards the drivers seat. The window was down, inside she found the man that stood in her house earlier. He appeared to be lifeless. Thana put her hand into the car, she needed to check his pulse. Her fingers were close to his skin when he gasped loudly and his dark eyes opened finding hers immediately.

"Keep your hands away from me" he snarled, his voice was low and raspy. He had a gash on his forehead.

"You're bleeding."

"I know"

"My name is.."

"Thana. I know."

"Should I call 911?"

"Would you have called if he was in your basement?" he snapped. Thana froze, staring into his midnight eyes.

"What?" For the first time she looked around them, there were no other cars, people, or any other commotion whatsoever. Everything had been still since she got into the car with Connor. Thana took a step back from the strangers car. Seconds later he was standing in front of her, the mark on his forehead and healed and only bits of dried blood remained.

"Don't play stupid, I know who you are."

"That's great because I don't have a damn clue as to who or what you are."

"Awe, you're abilities don't work on me." A sly smile crossed his lips.

"A man is dead and you're worried about me being a psychic?" The strange man took a step closer, leaning in towards Thana.

"We both know he was going to die tonight anyways." He whispered into her ear "Hold very still and try not to scream, right?" He locked eyes with her.

"How..."

He raised a hand, hitting her in the temple with something hard. She felt the pain, smelled the blood, then everything went black.
© Copyright 2017 Bly Jette (blyjette at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2112911-Untitled-for-now