*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2113601-THE-MOONLIGHTER
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Romance/Love · #2113601
What's a girl to do when she hasn't talked to her ex in three years? Break his nose?

THE MOONLIGHTER


Alexandrie left her husband Esmwhen she discovered his true profession. Now, three years later, she longs for her Frenchman and her father has decided to put their relationship to rights.


"One more hour." Alexandrie sighed and ran her manicured fingernail over the slice of lemon garnishing her empty glass. Normally, a dark and stormy used a lime wedge, but she'd picked up the habit of using lemon in it from him. She shook off her melancholy--it wasn't as if she'd been the liar, the thief--and poured another. Lonely in her father's elegant office at the back of the jewelry shop, she dug out her cell phone and flipped through the dating app. She'd wanted to close early, but Papa had insisted a client with an urgent appraisal would come in. Alex pursed her lips and flipped through her messages. She didn't want to date anyone.

"Why is patience a virtue? Why can't hurry the fuck up be a virtue?" She tossed her phone onto the desk. "Stop thinking about him, he's a scoundrel." Ever since she'd met Esm she'd been lost. Even three years apart hadn't cured her passion. She missed him. "Just... wise up, Alex." She pressed her thighs together, thinking about him got her wet. "Merde." She realized she'd used his favorite epithet and slammed back her drink. She checked the clock, only a few moments before she could close up shop. She'd have to masturbate tonight to get thoughts of Esmout of her head.

"Bloody Frenchman." She stood up and smoothed her skirt down her thighs. "Love is a blind whore with a mental disease and absolutely no sense of humor." The bell tinkled, and her shoulders slumped. She'd have to do the appraisal after all. She left the office and muttered, "He's not some modern day Robin Hood, no matter what he does with the money."

"Except, chie, that's exactly what I am."

Alex closed her eyes. How could her father set her up like this? "No, husband dearest, you are a criminal."

He made a distinctly French noise, and she knew he'd shrug one shoulder in that way of his. Daring herself, she opened her eyes and her heart skipped a beat. His body--tool of his trade as a jewel thief--was just as taut as ever.

"You let your hair grow."

"Oui, chie."

Her eyes lingered on his olive skin and silky dark hair, he'd pulled it into a ponytail. He walked toward her, his motions fluid and graceful from martial arts practice.

"Why?" she asked.

"Pourquoi?" He shrugged, one shoulder barely lifting and his mouth kicking up in that charming half-grin she'd fallen so hard for. "Why not?" He stopped a half-breath away from her and looked down at her with whiskey shaded eyes. "I missed you, Alexandrie.""

Alex resisted the urge to stretch up and kiss him. His breath whispered over her face, bathing her in his scent, cedarwood, leather, and roses. Esm

"Ton Pere thought we should talk."

That fucking accent. It melted her panties and had since the first night she'd met him. She snorted. "Talk, right. Like you ever did that."

Esmbrushed past her, into her father's office.

"You should see to the door, Alexandrie, it's past closing time." His attention on unzipping his leather satchel he chuckled. "Not see my ass, see to the door."

"Bloody, arrogant, Frenchman." She yanked her attention away from the delectable view, locked up, then returned to the office. He'd set out several pieces of jewelry on her father's appraisal tray. Alex bit her lip. Her hands itched to run up his silk clad back.

"I could leave," she said.

"But you won't." He cast her an amused glance before turning away. "You look beautiful as always, my love," he whispered.

"I'm not your love."

"Of course, you are. You may be able to dictate to your heart, but you've no say whatsoever about how I feel." He lifted his chin at the gems. His dark voice thrummed with tension. "Come then, appraise these, sign the gemologist's report and you can be rid of me as easily as you were three years ago."

"It wasn't easy."

"No?" He lifted a brow at her before pacing over. He stopped in front of her, and she closed her eyes, reveling in the heat of his finger under her chin. "Do you miss me, even a little bit?"

Dear gods, she wasn't this stupid, was she? The word slipped out. "Yes."

"Mon amour, you break my heart."

"I don't mean to."

He lowered his head, and Alex lifted up on tiptoe. Her forehead smacked Esmsquarely in the nose, hard. He bit out a curse, stepped back and cupped his hands over the bloody mess.

"Merde! As graceful as ever, I see." His hands muffled his voice. "How can you be so dexterous when dancing and so clumsy elsewhere?"

Clapping her hands over her mouth, Alex let loose a horrified giggle. "I'm so sorry." She hurried to the washroom and brought back a cold cloth. She guided him to sit in the office chair and stood between his knees. "Move your hands." She slid her finger along the blade of his aquiline nose and squeezed the bridge. "I didn't break it." She pressed the cloth to his face and met his serious eyes.

"My nose is nothing compared to my heart, Alexandrie.""

She bit her lip and searched his gaze. "Leaving broke mine too."

She tossed aside the cloth and carefully wrapped her arms around his neck to bury her fingers in his hair. She closed the distance and took his mouth in hers. No matter if he danced on the wrong side of the law, he was a good man. Only with him did she feel whole.

Esmpulled back, and those deft fingers that made him such a skilled thief found her left hand. She didn't need to look down to know what the body warmed metal hovering over the knuckle of her ring finger was.

"Yes?"

"Don't lie to me again."

"Never, ch."

"Yes." Alexandria slid her finger back into her wedding rings. "Yes."



© Copyright 2017 KaelanRhy (kaelanrhy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2113601-THE-MOONLIGHTER