*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2113914-Smart-Guy
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2113914
Three Minute Read
Smart Guy

I have daily and weekly routines, like everyone else. They evolved over single, married, children, full time job, etc. My husband and I are retired now. I still have my routines, and so does John.

Adjusting to retirement is like getting married all over again. Suddenly there is a person around that you love, but are not used to having around all the time. Plus, things change. Doing things that had to be done when you both worked still need doing, but you have more time.

I’ve always been the cleaner, even when we worked, my commute was five minutes, his forty-five. Plus, I like to clean. John had plenty of his own work, cars, yard work, repairs, shoveling, etc. We always shared the kids, plus he cooked every weekend.

I will be the first to admit that in retirement I have gotten lax in some of the things I used be keep up with. I have a morning routine, feed dog and cats, vacuum, empty trash, check bathrooms, etc. Then I go on with whatever project I happen to be on.

One day, John said, “I think you missed something.” And I said “What?” He got this look on his face that he gets when he thinks he’s being really funny, saying, “Maybe this will help…” and he took his finger and wrote “Hello” in the dust on the TV stand. He stood looking at me, expecting me to laugh. I didn’t. But I recovered pretty quickly.

“You know I don’t see as well as you without my glasses on,” I said, sweetly, “I guess you better take over the dusting.” and I walked away.

Three years later, my lovely husband is still in charge of dusting, and bonus, he has never commented on my housework again. Smart guy.

© Copyright 2017 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2113914-Smart-Guy