*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2114549-Many-plants-that-can-kill-you
Rated: 18+ · Documentary · Dark · #2114549
An A to Z death guide by Sir Death himself.
Good evening and welcome to Purgatory, now before you ask, yes, you are indeed dead, now the reason why you died is quite rather simple: your death was caused by a plant.

Ridiculous you think? maybe, but you won't find it ridiculous when i tell you that plants can infact kill you.

Now let us see which plant killed you in your living.

A is for Abrus precatorius, The attractive seeds (usually about the size of a ladybug, glossy red with one black dot) contain abrin, a ribosome-inactivating protein related to ricin, and very potent. Symptoms of poisoning include nausea, vomiting, convulsions, liver failure, and death, usually after several days. Ingesting a single seed can kill an adult human. The seeds have been used as beads in jewelry, which is dangerous; inhaled dust is toxic and pinpricks can be fatal. The seeds are unfortunately attractive to children, so if you know what's good for the childs don't let them eat it.

B is for Brugmansia genus, All parts of all plants in this genus contain the tropane alkaloids scopolamine and atropine; often fatal. These plants are closely related to and were once grouped with members of the Datura genus, which contain the same deadly alkaloids.

C is for Cerbera odollam, The seeds contain cerberin, a potent toxin related to digoxin. The poison blocks the calcium ion channels in heart muscle, causing disruption of the heart beat. This is typically fatal and can result from ingesting a single seed. Cerberin is difficult to detect in autopsies and its taste can be masked with strong spices, such as a curry, i guess you won't be eating curry after this fact, probably because you are already dead.

D is for Dendrocnide moroides, Capable of inflicting a painful sting when touched. The stinging may last for several days and is exacerbated by touching, rubbing, and cold temperatures; can be fatal, so don't touch it unless you did in your living out of curiosity, the huge cause of death that is.

E is for Euonymus europaeus, The fruit is poisonous, containing amongst other substances, the alkaloids theobromine and caffeine, as well as an extremely bitter terpene. Poisonings are more common in young children, who are enticed by the brightly coloured fruits. Ingestion can result in liver and kidney damage and even death. There are many other species of Euonymus, many of which are also poisonous.

F is for Foxglove, Large amounts cause dangerously irregular heartbeat and pulse, usually digestive upset and mental confusion. May be fatal, of course you would know it since it could be the plant that killed you.

G is for Gelsemium sempervirens, All parts are poisonous, causing nausea and vomiting. Often fatal. It is possible to become ill from ingesting honey made from jessamine nectar.

H is for Hyoscyamus niger, Seeds and foliage contain hyoscyamine, scopolamine and other tropane alkaloids. Can produce dilated pupils, hallucinations, increased heart rate, convulsions, vomiting, hypertension and ataxia.

I is for Ilex aquifolium, The berries cause gastroenteritis, resulting in nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, sure it dosen't sounds bad unless you count of not treating it or maltreated that is.

J is for Jacobaea vulgaris, Contains many different alkaloids, including jacobine, jaconine, jacozine, otosenine, retrorsine, seneciphylline, senecionine, and senkirkine, so many scientific words i bet you're confused, don't worry so am I.

K is for Kalmia latifolia, Contains andromedotoxin and arbutin. The green parts of the plant, flowers, twigs, and pollen are all toxic, and symptoms of toxicity begin to appear about 6 hours following ingestion. Poisoning produces anorexia, repeated swallowing, profuse salivation, depression, uncoordination, vomiting, frequent defecation, watering of the eyes, irregular or difficult breathing, weakness, cardiac distress, convulsions, coma, and eventually death. Autopsy will show gastrointestinal irritation and hemorrhage.

L is for Lilium genus, Most have an unidentified water-soluble toxin found in all parts of the plant. Extremely poisonous, yet attractive, to cats, causing acute renal failure; as few as two petals of the flowers can kill.

M is for Menispermum genus, oh look another one from the genus family, The fruits and seeds are poisonous, causing nausea and vomiting; often fatal.

N is for Narcissus genus, The bulbs are poisonous and cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea; can be fatal. Stems also cause headaches, vomiting, and blurred vision.

O is for Oenanthe crocata, Contains oenanthotoxin. The leaves may be eaten safely by livestock, but the stems and especially the carbohydrate-rich roots are much more poisonous. Animals familiar with eating the leaves may eat the roots when these are exposed during ditch clearance – one root is sufficient to kill a cow, and human fatalities are also known in these circumstances. Scientists at the University of Eastern Piedmont in Italy claimed to have identified this as the plant responsible for producing the sardonic grin, and it is the most-likely candidate for the "sardonic herb," which was a neurotoxic plant used for the ritual killing of elderly people in Phoenician Sardinia. When these people were unable to support themselves, they were intoxicated with this herb and then dropped from a high rock or beaten to death. Criminals were also executed in this way.

P is for Phytolacca genus, Leaves, berries and roots contain phytolaccatoxin and phytolaccigenin. The toxicity of young leaves can be reduced with repeated boiling and draining. Ingestion of poisonous parts of the plant may cause severe stomach cramping, persistent diarrhea, nausea, vomiting (sometimes bloody), slow and difficult breathing, weakness, spasms, hypertension, severe convulsions, and death.

Q is for Quercus genus, The leaves and acorns of oak species are poisonous in large amounts to humans and livestock, including cattle, horses, sheep and goats, but not pigs. Poisoning is caused by the toxin tannic acid, which causes gastroenteritis, heart trouble, contact dermatitis and kidney damage. Symptoms of poisoning include lack of appetite, depression, constipation, diarrhea (which may contain blood), blood in urine, and colic; it is rarely fatal, however, and in fact after proper processing acorns are consumed as a staple food in many parts of the world.

R is for Rhododendron genus, All parts are poisonous and cause nausea, vomiting, depression, breathing difficulties, and coma, though it is rarely fatal. The primary source of toxicity is a group of closely related compounds called grayanotoxins, which block sodium ion channels in cellular membranes and prevent electrical repolarization during action potentials. Honey made from the nectar of Rhododendron plants may contain dangerous concentrations of grayanotoxins, and has been historically used as a poison and in alcoholic drinks.

S is for Solanum nigrum, All parts of the plant except the ripe fruit contain the toxic glycoalkaloid solanine. Solanine poisoning is primarily displayed by gastrointestinal and neurological disorders. Symptoms include nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, stomach cramps, burning of the throat, cardiac dysrhythmia, headache and dizziness. In more severe cases, hallucinations, loss of sensation, paralysis, fever, jaundice, dilated pupils and hypothermia can result. In large quantities, solanine poisoning can be fatal.

T is for Taxus baccata, Nearly all parts contain toxic taxanes (except the red, fleshy, and slightly sweet aril surrounding the toxic seeds). The seeds themselves are particularly toxic if chewed. Several people have committed suicide by ingesting leaves and seeds, including Catuvolcus, king of a tribe in what is now Belgium.

U is for Utterly nothing because there isn't any U named plant that can kill you, but i am still trying to find one that does kill humans.

V is for Viscum genus, Mistletoe is a common hemiparasite of trees and shrubs. Toxicity varies by species, but all parts of the plant, especially the leaves and berries, contain an array of toxic chemicals, including several different viscotoxins, the alkaloid tyramine, and a ribosome-inactivating lectin called viscumin. Symptoms may include acute gastrointestinal discomfort, diarrhea, weak pulse and/or slow heart rate, and even seizures; it is rarely lethal to adult humans, however, and many wild animals are adapted to eating its fruit.

X is for Xanthium genus, The common cocklebur (Xanthium strumarium), a native of North America, can be poisonous to livestock, including horses, cattle, and sheep. Some domestic animals will avoid consuming the plant if other forage is present, but less discriminating animals, such as pigs, will consume the plants and then sicken and die. The seedlings and seeds are the most toxic parts of the plants. Symptoms usually occur within a few hours, producing unsteadiness and weakness, depression, nausea and vomiting, twisting of the neck muscles, rapid and weak pulse, difficulty breathing, and eventually death. Xanthium has also been used for its medicinal properties and for making yellow dye, as indicated by its name.

Y is for Yew, Fatal. Foliage more toxic than berries. Death is usually sudden without warning symptoms.

and finally Z is for Zantedeschia genus, All parts of these plants are toxic, containing calcium oxalate, which induces irritation and swelling of the mouth and throat, acute vomiting and diarrhea. Can be fatal.

Well did you remembered which palnt killed you in your living? if not then feel free to visit's Purgatory's Garden of all, you can find all the plants of the world, where you can maybe then find wich plant was it that killed you, and i guess we both learn that the genus family means serious buisness.

In the meantime, i'll be waiting here for the next lost soul while writting another death guide, i heard the next lost soul was a chemist, this will be fun... well for me at least,
© Copyright 2017 The Bizarre Trooper (jojobrand0 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2114549-Many-plants-that-can-kill-you