*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2114780-The-Angel-in-the-Woods
by Terri
Rated: E · Short Story · Inspirational · #2114780
A knowledge of upcoming death.
The stories linger from the past few years about a mystical spot deep in the woods. It’s funny when you hear that someone passed away so young. He must have known what was to come when he met her in the woods that day. His stories of her left many of us to fear he had gone quite insane.
It was just over a year ago that James went out for a walk with his feisty Labrador Retriever Samson. A spring storm approached so the woods became a bit dark. There was still enough light to see the path but otherwise the darkness gathered quickly; almost as if it were approaching nightfall. The wind picked up with the approaching storm and Samson was chasing random twirling leaves in the wind. James enjoyed his walks with Samson each day. These walks were very relaxing and he felt at peace somehow, even one with God during those moments.
It was about an hour into their walk that James felt a sharp pain in his head. He decided to sit down on a large rock along the path. Samson paused to find out why James was stopping their walk only half way into it. James sat quietly on the rock with his head in his hands. Samson watched dutifully but was quickly distracted by something near James. Samson cocked his head to one side and then to the other. This caught James attention and something caught his eye as well. A beautiful young woman was standing nearby. There was light all around her. James thought he must be hallucinating. No one moved for what felt like an eternity, not even Samson.
“Who are you?” asked James still amazed.
“I am Savannah. Are you feeling okay?” she asked with a soft voice that seemed almost like a song.
“I have this sharp pain in my head. I must be getting a migraine or something. It really is quite painful. My eyes are a bit blurry. Why is there so much light around you, or am I seeing things?” James put his head back in his hands waiting for Savannah’s response.
Savannah looked at James with concerned eyes and noticed that Samson was curled up on the ground next to him watching intently. “I am simply here to help you James. The storm is approaching and you need to get back home.”
James looked up with surprise. “How do you know my name? Have we met before?”
Savannah moved slowly as if floating through the air and settled next to James. She cradled her hand around his head gently and the light around her became much brighter. James felt the pain slowly leaving his head. He suddenly felt lighter and at peace.
“What did you do to me Savannah?”
“I eased your pain for a time period. You have things to do before the pain returns. I can only give you this gift for a short time period. This can allow you to do things that you feel you need to do before the problem comes back.”
“What is wrong with me and what time period are you talking about? I don’t understand what is happening to me. Can you please explain it?” James sounded scared and was beginning to panic. Samson sat up and moved closer to James sensing his tense feelings.
“James, please calm down. What I have done for you is a gift. Not many people have this opportunity. I have watched over you from the moment you were born. You have some unfinished business to attend to and I want that time for you. It is not much but it is all that I was allowed to give you. Please don’t waste it.” Savannah turned to leave.
“Wait! Don’t leave me with so many unanswered questions. Am I going to die? What is wrong with me? I thought it was just a headache. What unfinished business? How will I know how much time I have and if I can set things right in that amount of time?” James began to panic and beads of sweat were rolling down his face. Samson stood up and watched Savannah carefully as if he wanted to follow her.
Savannah turned and answered softly, “Your time is short. Think of those you will leave behind and what you want to leave them with. You have had much to give that you have held onto far too long. Think it through carefully and with an open heart. Your time is precious, please do not waste it.”
“What if I have questions or need you for some reason? How do I find you again?” James was still very concerned and overflowing with questions.
“I will be here if you need me. Prayers also help with the guidance that you seek. But I will be with you every step of the way even when you cannot see me. Some of the decisions that you will need to make will be difficult. It is during those times that you will want to reach out in prayer for help. Just remember that you are never alone or forgotten.” Savannah turned and this time she disappeared as quickly as she came, leaving James and Samson alone in the darkening forest.
“Samson, we had better hurry if we don’t want to get soaked out here in the trees so far from home.” Samson was eager to trot alongside James as he walked quickly back to his truck. James had so many thoughts racking through his mind. Where should he start and what is next? There was much for him to think about. James was feeling tired so he drove home so that he and Samson could get some much needed rest.
The next few months kept James and Samson very busy. James was usually surprising one of his friends or family members with a special gift or heartfelt letter with words that head long been left unsaid. James appeared to be much happier than any of us had seen him in the past. When asked why he was so positive and upbeat he would just smile and reply, “No reason.” He did mention to a few of us that he met someone special. He explained their meeting but not the details.
James’s description of his meeting with Savannah in the forest always brought a very pleasant and peaceful smile on his face. It felt as if she were there with us when he described her. We asked many times to meet her and James would always change the subject.
A few weeks ago James and Samson went out for their usual walk. They were gone longer than usual. James had asked us to meet at his house. The door was opened and we each filed inside upon arrival. It was a windy day with leaves twirling about. We imagined Samson dancing about chasing the leaves while keeping up with James on his favorite walk. Time seemed to pass slowly while we waited on our friends to return. To our surprise Samson returned alone with a note attached to his collar.
Vivian carefully retrieved the note from the anxious lab and stroked his back in order to calm Samson. Vivian opened the note and began to read:
“My dear loved ones. I am sorry to leave you with only this note today. Savannah had returned to tell me that my gift of time was up and now I have to leave. I hope that I have made up for anything that I have done wrong in my life and left each of you with some happier memories. You see not many are given a gift of time such as the gift that Savannah has awarded to me. I am thankful for this special time because I had become lost in the routines of life and forgotten what was important. This special gift was the most precious that I have ever received in my life. You see, I was able to o something special for each person in my life that was important. I even forgave some who were unkind to me. Believe me when I say that it was much more difficult to forgive some than others. I did feel much lighter once I truly forgave each soul. What a blessing! Just so you will understand that it will be reported that I has a brain aneurysm which previously did not show up on the scans. Please don’t be sad for my absence because we will meet again one day. These past few months were the happiest of my life! Vivian, please take good care of Samson. He adores you.”
James was found in the clearing where he first met Savannah. Samson and I go there often and sit on James’s rock. Samson will cock his head from side to side and we know that James and Savannah are watching.
This experience with James and Savannah has made a deep impression on our friends. Each and every one has decided to make amends and treat each day as if it were their last. Their lives have become happier and more fulfilling. So I supposed that Savannah’s gift to James was also a beautiful gift to each of us.


© Copyright 2017 Terri (angelwriter59 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2114780-The-Angel-in-the-Woods